Stocking ideas and timeline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pyro9097

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I have a 25 gallon lightly planted tank with 10 cardinal tetras that is totally cycled (Ammo 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-20). I am now only running an AC30 on the tank, I had another one, a TopFin internal filter but that killed 3 of the cardinals and trapped another two that we rescued. So I quickly removed it.

My concern with the tetras is my pH it is sitting right around 7.2 - 7.4 which I know is a bit alkaline for these guys :( My tank was usually in the 6's while cycling so I thought it wouldn't be a problem but after I got them, I realized it may be too high and now I have them, so moving forward. I grabbed a piece of driftwood this weekend, soaked, and put it in the tank with hopes of it lowering the pH. I put it in yesterday and not lowering as of yet...

My water is extremely soft, one drop of both the GH and KH API test cause the color change. I believe this is good for cardinals, but not sure if the fish below will be okay with that.

I have asked this question, or a very similar one before and just wanted to get more opinions and advice now that the tank is actually going....

So I have the 10 cardinals and would like to add:
- 6 corys (panda, julii, or peppered because of size)
- 2 Bolivian Rams

Any other ideas or suggestions? I am very open to pretty much anything at all.

Additionally, we got the cardinals one week ago today, how much longer should we wait before adding the next set (if no one here makes any other suggestion the corys)?

Hi All,

I have a 25 gallon lightly planted tank with 10 cardinal tetras that is totally cycled (Ammo 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-20). I am now only running an AC30 on the tank, I had another one, a TopFin internal filter but that killed 3 of the cardinals and trapped another two that we rescued. So I quickly removed it.

My concern with the tetras is my pH it is sitting right around 7.2 - 7.4 which I know is a bit alkaline for these guys :( My tank was usually in the 6's while cycling so I thought it wouldn't be a problem but after I got them, I realized it may be too high and now I have them, so moving forward. I grabbed a piece of driftwood this weekend, soaked, and put it in the tank with hopes of it lowering the pH. I put it in yesterday and not lowering as of yet...

My water is extremely soft, one drop of both the GH and KH API test cause the color change. I believe this is good for cardinals, but not sure if the fish below will be okay with that.

I have asked this question, or a very similar one before and just wanted to get more opinions and advice now that the tank is actually going....

So I have the 10 cardinals and would like to add:
- 6 corys (panda, julii, or peppered because of size)
- 2 Bolivian Rams

Any other ideas or suggestions? I am very open to pretty much anything at all.

Additionally, we got the cardinals one week ago today, how much longer should we wait before adding the next set (if no one here makes any other suggestion the corys)?

Hello!

My gut is saying that you shouldn't worry too much about your pH unless it spikes up. Fish can deal much better with a higher than preferred but STABLE pH as opposed to a pH that will swing from 6 to 7.1 depending on if you remember additives or not. If the driftwood does lower it, it won't be be by much, which again, isnt really a big problem.

Since all of those fish (Corys, Tetras, Rams) hail from South America, it is a safe bet that a condition that is generally good for one will work for most of them (not to mention that Corys are extremely hardy and forgiving). So on the softness side you are a-ok.

If I were you, I would watch the tank for a few more days to make sure the Cardinals and the pH to make sure that it is stable. If that is all good, I would add the Corys and again, watch the fish and do your testing over a couple of days. If all is in the clear then, feel free to add the Bolivian Rams and watch them.

I am willing to bet that with the planned stocking you have, most of the activity and action will be happening in the lower 1/3 of your aquarium (Rams and Corys stay down there and without cover/feeling safe so will the Cardinals). I don't particularly know a 25g dimensions off hand, but if you wanted some fish for up top, Hatchetfish also hail from slow moving South American streams and stay at the top of the tank. I would consider them only if you feel your tank is lacking but with the extra bioload (I am assuming upwards of 20+ fish in your tank) make sure that you are diligent on water changes and not overfeeding your fish :)

Hope that helps!

Hello!

My gut is saying that you shouldn't worry too much about your pH unless it spikes up. Fish can deal much better with a higher than preferred but STABLE pH as opposed to a pH that will swing from 6 to 7.1 depending on if you remember additives or not. If the driftwood does lower it, it won't be be by much, which again, isnt really a big problem.

Since all of those fish (Corys, Tetras, Rams) hail from South America, it is a safe bet that a condition that is generally good for one will work for most of them (not to mention that Corys are extremely hardy and forgiving). So on the softness side you are a-ok.

If I were you, I would watch the tank for a few more days to make sure the Cardinals and the pH to make sure that it is stable. If that is all good, I would add the Corys and again, watch the fish and do your testing over a couple of days. If all is in the clear then, feel free to add the Bolivian Rams and watch them.

I am willing to bet that with the planned stocking you have, most of the activity and action will be happening in the lower 1/3 of your aquarium (Rams and Corys stay down there and without cover/feeling safe so will the Cardinals). I don't particularly know a 25g dimensions off hand, but if you wanted some fish for up top, Hatchetfish also hail from slow moving South American streams and stay at the top of the tank. I would consider them only if you feel your tank is lacking but with the extra bioload (I am assuming upwards of 20+ fish in your tank) make sure that you are diligent on water changes and not overfeeding your fish :)

Hope that helps!

It does thanks for the reply!

I'll have to see what the SO also wants to see, and then a final decision will be made.

However for now, stocking is being put on hold. I was headed out for a short business trip yesterday morning ( returning later today) and I think I saw the cardinals had spots all over them, so I'm assuming ich. I didn't have time to do anything about it, and yesterday was def the first time I noticed the spots and I look at them a lot everyday, so hopefully I'll still have 10 fish kicking around in there in a few hours. As soon as possible tonight I'm gonna go to the store and get an ich treatment, remove the carbon from my filter, and start creeping the temp up in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree that your pH and GH are good for Cardinals and the other species you're considering adding. I have Cardinals and my tank is pH 7.3-7.4, with 3 dGH. Driftwood will not change your pH all that much, but that's OK because you don't really need to. It'll help make your fish feel more at home, though.

Regarding your other stocking ideas, I'd say that two rams and six corys may be a little too much bottom action in a 25 gallon tank. Rams can get territorial when in pairs. If you want to do both species, I'd go with one ram and four corys. If you want a pair of rams, go with a third species that will spend more time above the substrate. If you get a ram or two, add it last.

Agreed that your tank would benefit from some fish that occupy the upper half. Hatchets are a good suggestion and their bioloads are relatively small. Just be sure that your tank is well-covered. Other good middle/upper fish include Harlequin Rasboras and Black Neon Tetras.

I agree that your pH and GH are good for Cardinals and the other species you're considering adding. I have Cardinals and my tank is pH 7.3-7.4, with 3 dGH. Driftwood will not change your pH all that much, but that's OK because you don't really need to. It'll help make your fish feel more at home, though.

Regarding your other stocking ideas, I'd say that two rams and six corys may be a little too much bottom action in a 25 gallon tank. Rams can get territorial when in pairs. If you want to do both species, I'd go with one ram and four corys. If you want a pair of rams, go with a third species that will spend more time above the substrate. If you get a ram or two, add it last.

Agreed that your tank would benefit from some fish that occupy the upper half. Hatchets are a good suggestion and their bioloads are relatively small. Just be sure that your tank is well-covered. Other good middle/upper fish include Harlequin Rasboras and Black Neon Tetras.

So once I get the ich under control in a few weeks, I thought about having the following:

9 cardinal tetras (one doesn't look good)
8 harlequin rasboras
4-6 Cory's

That will put me over 100% on aqadvisor but I plan on being ver diligent with the pwcs every week. Plus I've heard it's quite conservative.

So once I get the ich under control in a few weeks, I thought about having the following:

9 cardinal tetras (one doesn't look good)
8 harlequin rasboras
4-6 Cory's

That will put me over 100% on aqadvisor but I plan on being ver diligent with the pwcs every week. Plus I've heard it's quite conservative.

I've heard that it's on the conservative side as well (which is a good thing). The numbers that they give assume adult size (though you can plug in specific juvenile sizes to get an idea of your tank's stocking as is).

Overall, that's a good stocking plan. I would go with 4 corys instead of 6. They'll do fine in that number and it'll help keep the tank's bioload lower.

Given that Cardinals a little sensitive to nitrates, I'd do 30% weekly water changes with that stocking. (Or 15% changes every 3-4 days.) Just to be on the safe side.

All great advice from PNWaquarist.

I, personally, would say that with your removal of the Rams from your stocking list, you should be fine with 6 Corys as long as you stick to those species listed (since they tend to stay smaller comparatively).

The Harlequin Rasboras are an excellent choice as they are not timid and very active. This should make the Cardinals feel safer and be out in the open more. Although the Rasboras hail from an entirely different part of the world from your other fish (SE Asia v South America) they should adapt and be perfectly fine with the tank conditions.

Again, as was stated, make sure you keep up on the water changes and you should be in the clear.

Id like to resurrect this talk please as things have not been going well :(

Over the course of the last week, my tank has unfortunately been reduced to one lone Cardinal. All of the others lost their battle with either ich or maybe the medicine I Used (Ich-x) was too strong for them. Regardless, now the tank is essentially empty, so I have a few questions. The water parameters are all still good (ammo 0 trite0 trate 5-10 pH 7.4)

I know that the tetra shouldn't be alone, I just can't get to the LFS for at least another day or so because of my schedule. Is there another type of tetra that would help coax the lone cardinal out and/or make it feel safe other than Cardinals? I am looking to go for hardier fish this time around.

If no I really like the look and activity level described about the Harlequin Rasboras so would be interested in getting 8 of them.

I still love the look of cories so want to stick with that (6 of the smallerish ones (panda or the like)).

Would any type of gourami work in this tank? It seems they get kinda big, but I wasn't sure also not sure about their aggression level. It is a 25 gallon bowfront. The dimensions of the tank are:
Length 24 inches
Height 20 inches ( water height is probably 16 inches)
Width at edge 10 inches
Width at middle 14.5 inches

Thanks all in advance!

You could do male endlers, they are from SA also, and they have many different colors

Back
Top Bottom