Stocking my 10 gallon help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had some in the past I heard you need to put aquarium salt for them to thrive I didn't want to put too much because I have slot of live plants and they all started to die :( actually one survived he just swims around maybe I should try getting more then again the betta might eat them

I never heard of using salt with GS. Mine are salt free. I had more problems with keeping my RCS alive then the GS. Again each person has their own experience. I had the same fears as you about putting shrimp with a betta. I guess it depends on the individual fish. My betta and shrimp coexist.

Have you ever kept African Dwarf frogs? They are good for a ten too. They can be a little messy.

Maybe my tanks ready for more gs wouldn't hurt to buy more and if Betta eats them then I learn my lesson lol and I had one I loved it but it kept taking my plants out when it swam lol

I have gs in a 10gal with a pair of gbr's. The funny thing is my fish wont bother the gs at all but attack every rcs i put in.
BTW. My gs are also salt free.

what corys do you have? i ask because they may be too big for your tank, also i believe that they should be kept in groups of at least 3, some recommend groups of 6. I would add another neon to your group to make a school of six. If you are getting a betta i would say your tank is fully stocked, maybe some ghost shrimp, they dont need salt.

Totally agree with a.tetreault! That sounds like perfect stocking for a 10g. Just consider the filter's current, and current from any airstones when adding the betta as it could be a problem. Just something to think about :)

Also maybe RCS if you like their look better, although I love my GS.

Another vote for ghost shrimp...I love mine, and they are salt-free. Although if your cories are dwarfs like mine they may have a hard time competing with the gs for food. :/

I have 3 and yes their dwarfs I have only one gs and when I drop a algae pellet they all get there share the gs takes a piece and drags it off lol hopefully when I buy more they'll survive so illget one more neon tetra the betta and what does RCS stand for??

Oh and as for the current I hope it won't bother him it's only noticeable if they swim like right in front of it on the right side It's pretty heavily planted so I hope he'll save there maybe I'll get a dragon scale because of the smaller fins? I really want to get a half moon though lol

Red Cherry Shrimp. I had a 2.5 gallon given to me and plan on doing a tank just for that species. I haven't had much luck keeping this type of shrimp with fish.

Ah of course how could I not remember lol I don't think ive seen any around my area though I've looked before and well since it's harder to keep them with fish I think I'll stick to gs
Or even Japanese algae shrimp or bamboo shrimp ive seen those but their pricey

also i dont think you can mix RCS with GS. so my advice is try the ghost shrimp with the betta first, if they do well and if you want RCS which are a little more expensive then you will have to find a new home for the GS. i think a half moon would be okay but i would maybe put a few plants underneath the filter so it breaks up the current a bit. also bettas like to go to the top of the tank for air, so its best to leave the water level a little lower then you normally would so that they have enough room.

Hmm i think I'll stick to the gs to make everything easier lol and yeah I have an onion plant covering part of the filter and okay I'll make sure to lower it a bit
Does anybody have any experience with bamboo shrimp?

Fishandmusic81 said:
Okay planted 10 gallon so far I have 3 corys 5 neon tetras and I'm planning on getting a betta any other fish I can put in??

you could add guppies and maybe one or two females.

Back
Top Bottom