Stocking question + frisky guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amandap79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.
I have a question...or two..

My tank is a 30 litre, Biorb (Life - so rectangular, not round).
Its cycled and stocked with:

6 x neon tetras
3 FEMALE Platys
3 MALE Guppies

The male guppies are chasing the platys around all the time (to the point that I often catch the platys resting alot). They seem a little stressed by it (closed fins when resting). I presume this is because the males have nothing to mate with. Question one, should this be worrying me?

I don't have the option to get another tank - so is there anything that can be done to stop the constant harrasment. Would the tank take another couple of female guppies? Or is there another small livebearer I could get to out number the males???

~Any suggestions grateful!!

best thing to do is get rid of the male guppies or the female platies. Guppies aren't too bright and will try and breed with anything.

At 30 liters your tank is about 8 gallons. It really isn't suitable for Neon Tetras as they are active fish and need a lot more swim space than your tank can provide.

Same with the Platys; Platys have a big bioload (they're messy fish) and should be in a larger tank. Also you're grossly overstocked. The fish are competing for space in a very small tank.

Ideally you should upgrade to a larger tank; preferably a 20 long to provide the Neons with the room they require to swim. Otherwise if you can rehome/return the fish and stock fish that are more suitable for your tank size it would be best. For an 8 gallon, I'd say a betta, maybe a school of nano fish like Ember Tetra, and some shrimp. That's pretty much it for a tank of that size.

Back
Top Bottom