Stocking suggestion - 40gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
After we set up the new aquarium over the weekend I know I will be asked about adding fish. Currently we have 4 or 5 Danio Zebra/glofish. All small.

What else is recommended? I am certainly not going to ask the people at the chain pet store.

The 10 year old boy really wants to add some glass catfish at some point.

Any suggestions which can include the catfish or not are welcomed!

We prefer smaller schooling fish rather than the larger fish. A fish we had for a while was a red platy and it seemed like a nice enough fish to consider again.

That's a great tank size to stock and you have a ton of choices. Tetra, rasbora, danios, etc will work fine in a school. It's a matter of your family's preferences for a large part. Just research each species BEFORE you purchase so that you know about max size, aggression, dietary & water needs, etc. Also, make sure to read up on cycling your aquarium. It will save you a lot of frustration (and money) in the long run even though you will most likely need to wait before you add fish. Do not listen to the standard "let your filter run for a day/ week, etc and you're ready" advice that is so prevalent.

Good luck and enjoy!

We are waiting to add additional fish until I know the water, with the current fish, is healthy and somewhat stable.

Back
Top Bottom