Stocking suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am finally at a point where I want to start thinking about restocking my 26g bowfront. The fish that used to be in it have been moved, save for one, into my new larger tank.

Once the one holdout is better, fin issues I think from being beaten up, he will be moved as well.

I am definitely getting a school of 7-8 neons. Love them, their activity and color. Plus I want a nice school.

I will also have 4 Oto cats. Love their ability to keep the algae at bay.

So what else can I get. I was toying with doing an Amazon Biotope. But, while from SA, I don't think Otos will allow that. The tank is moderately planted, with lowlight easy plants. It has stock lighting T8. It has some Val, Anubis, crypts. But an thinking about rescaping and adding some Amazon sword. Hard scape right now is some rocks, but I will be adding a DW, sometime in the next 2 weeks.

PH is 7.6. Which I know is not ideal for Neons.

26g-

Stock I must have:

7-8 neon tetra
3-4 Oto cats

What I want( here is where I need suggestion)

Peaceful community fish. Hardy. And one centerpiece fish. I like a lot of activity, so would prefer smaller active fish and one bigger centerpiece, a gourami maybe? If room, would love Cory as well. But space is limited.

There is just so much to pick from. I would like to at least stay in the same general continent. South America.

Thanks. Figuring out stock is so much fun!!!

Ok dude you totally have the makings of an amazing nano setup! Get some dwarf rasboras, scarlet badis, sparkling gourami. It would be sweeet!

I love the Badis, but I read they get a bit tough with each other. How should I stick them? 1 male/2 female? All male? How many.

Sparkling gourami??? Gotta check them out!!!

I like the nano tank idea!! It's not a big tank, I think that would be great!!!

I love the Badis, but I read they get a bit tough with each other. How should I stick them? 1 male/2 female? All male? How many.

Sparkling gourami??? Gotta check them out!!!

I like the nano tank idea!! It's not a big tank, I think that would be great!!!

Scarlet Badis do get a little tough however they dont seem to really harm each other. They establish territories and defend them. Most likely you will only find males. If you find females they are very rare and you should get them! They arent as pretty but they look cool shape wise. If it is males only I would say 4-5. If you find females then 3-4 males and a bunch of females would be fine.
Sprarkling gouramis are gorgeous!
I am in love with freshwater nano so I recomend it to everyone!

P.S. On the scarlets you will need to feed frozen food (some eat flake but still need frozen. Some reportedly only eat live but I have never seen it) They are (like all badis) prone to malnutrition and you must watch to be sure they are getting enough to eat! Ironically I have read that certain foods (I think bloodworms) makes them susceptible to obesity lol

I am finally at a point where I want to start thinking about restocking my 26g bowfront. The fish that used to be in it have been moved, save for one, into my new larger tank.

Once the one holdout is better, fin issues I think from being beaten up, he will be moved as well.

I am definitely getting a school of 7-8 neons. Love them, their activity and color. Plus I want a nice school.

I will also have 4 Oto cats. Love their ability to keep the algae at bay.

So what else can I get. I was toying with doing an Amazon Biotope. But, while from SA, I don't think Otos will allow that. The tank is moderately planted, with lowlight easy plants. It has stock lighting T8. It has some Val, Anubis, crypts. But an thinking about rescaping and adding some Amazon sword. Hard scape right now is some rocks, but I will be adding a DW, sometime in the next 2 weeks.

PH is 7.6. Which I know is not ideal for Neons.

26g-

Stock I must have:

7-8 neon tetra
3-4 Oto cats

What I want( here is where I need suggestion)

Peaceful community fish. Hardy. And one centerpiece fish. I like a lot of activity, so would prefer smaller active fish and one bigger centerpiece, a gourami maybe? If room, would love Cory as well. But space is limited.

There is just so much to pick from. I would like to at least stay in the same general continent. South America.

Thanks. Figuring out stock is so much fun!!!

Do 7 neons, 2 Otos, 4 cories (the pigmy or dwarf ones I think there called) 1 dwarf gourami and a pair of some kind of apistogrammas if you have good filtration that will be a great stocklist.

I like the dwarf gourami!!! Not sure about the mini cichlids though.

How about some small Rasbora?

And what about some shrimp? Will they get eaten?

Back
Top Bottom