stocking tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1. Tank size
2. Current filtration
3. Type of substrate
4. pH of your water
5. What type of fish you like the most.

1. 25 Gallon tall
2. Fluval 204 with spray bar and power head
3. None yet, possibly going with pool filter sand for a planted tank? (pros and cons for this would be appreciated)
4. You tell me what it should be i guess?
5. Colourfull, active fish, something that i can breed would be kinda cool

New to fresh water tanks! Love the clown loach but I think my tank is to small :(

Probably going to have a planted tank eventually, just going to start out with the substrate that will alow me to go with a planted tank

For substrate for a planted tank flourite is pretty good.

And yes i would say your tank is too small for clown loaches...they get preety big, it takes a while but i would suggest 55's for thwm with 3 or more.

Your ph for most fw fish should be from 7.0-7.5.

Whats a certain category of fish that you like? loaches,catfish,gouramies?
If you give a category of what you like that would help us to give you some suggestions.

We can't tell you what the pH of your water is. :p Do you have a test kit?
There are smaller loaches that are active, colorful, and would do fine in that size tank. Are there any other kind of fish you like in particular?

yes I have a test kit, with my salt water though the salt sets the ph so i've never tested it just straight tap water, I can do that though.

I dont really have anything in particular, I was planning on going to the pet store today, just walking around and making notes of the fish that I would like to have. Then maybe i'll post the list on here and do some research on them.

out of curiousty how long would it take the clown loaches to get to big for a 25 gallon tank? i'm planning on buying a 90-120 gallon tank next summer.

also where do I get flourite?is it something a pet store is going to have or do I have to go somewhere else?

Flourite is carried by many good local fish stores (aka LFS) and is also available via mailorder. Other loaches which don't get as large as clown loaches include the zebra loach and the dwarf loach. I've kept the latter and they are fun to watch but not as readily available as some of the other species. They also tend to be more expensive (anywhere from US$12.95 to US$17.95 at my LFS). Whatever species of loach you decide to get, you should get at least three since they are a very gregarious species.

As far as colorful, active fish you can breed in a tank that size I would suggest looking at some of the dwarf cichlids like Apistogramma cacatuoides. They don't get very big and you should be able to keep an adult male and two adult females in a 25 gallon tank as long as it is well planted and has some decorations like rocks and driftwood to break up the sight lines.

thanks those fish look really cool!

so I notice on one of the sticky here that pool filter sand is mentioned as a good substrate? I think I want to go that route but would like to hear from you guys on the pros and cons? I really like the look of the sand.

Eventually I plan to go with a planted tank setup.

That will be perfect for SA dwarfs like the a. cacatuoides. Lucky you! :D The loaches will also do well in this pH.

If you leave some tap water out in a cup or other container for a day or so the pH might actually be a little higher.

Back
Top Bottom