Storm Preparation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patterson333

Aquarium Advice Freak
There seems to be a slight possibility that I might have a tropical storm or hurricane coming my way as early as this weekend. I almost always lose power when that does happen, does anyone have any suggestions as far as precautions go for the tank?

I plan on going out tomorrow and buying some battery operated air pumps, anything else I should get?

You can buy (or make yourself) an internal corner filter using old filter media or even the current substrate you have to use with the battery operated air filter. It will help maintain water quality if you lose power for an extended period of time.

I'm supposing heat won't be a problem this time of year down there.

Best of luck and I hope you don't have to use your back plan!

might want to buy a gennie too never a bad idea to have one save your live stock nd give you some needed electricity

A friend of mine used a an inverter from her car last to run her filter and heater during a prolonged outage in winter.

Thanks for all the quick replies! I actually just realized that I'm probably not going to need to take any of these precautions. It somehow slipped my mind that I could always run an extension cord to my boat outside (we live on a canal that leads out to the ocean).

However, heat might become a problem, as it gets well above 90 over here. Any recommendations should that happen? I was figuring I could float some bags of ice and maybe put a fan over the top.

I'm probably being overly cautious, as the storm's still rather far and we're barely in the cone, but I've always thought it's best to be over rather than under prepared.

A generator is one of the best things but a cheap power inverter works great, just get an extension cord and run it from the car to the tanks :)

The battery powered air pumps are good, and it sounds like you got the ice thing figured out so i think you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom