Suggest me Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have my new 46 Gallon tank set up as of yesterday. My stock list is 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 Amano shrimp, 2 German blue Rams, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 5 Platys, 1 Albino Bristlenose.

I'm looking to add more fish, but i'm not quite sure what to add. I was leaning towards a Single Angelfish, but I'm not sure about that at the moment, since they might pose a danger to Amano Shrimp. Any suggestions for other fish would be nice and appreciated that would fit well with my current stock list.

I was thinking maybe about 4-5 cories to help with cleanup or some serape tetras. Is the tank planted?

phoenixkiller said:
Angels are pretty cool, you gotta admit. I like the color of the Philippine Blue Angels the best. Very unique shape and personality. I hope to get one soon!

Haha ya can't beat angels. They like to pick at your arm and fingers lol and swim through your hands. Very personable, +1 to angels. Especially Philippine blue :)

The Tank is planted, yes. Most of the plants are growing out, but for now, most of the floor is covered while the upper tier of the tank is open swimming space til my plants grow upwards.

I'm inclined to go with the Angelfish, but I will definitely purchase it while its young, as i've heard that reduces the chances of it attacking other fish. As for cory cats, wouldn't they compete with my Pleco and Amano Shrimp for algae at the bottom? I Don't want starving fish.

The Tank is planted, yes. Most of the plants are growing out, but for now, most of the floor is covered while the upper tier of the tank is open swimming space til my plants grow upwards.

I'm inclined to go with the Angelfish, but I will definitely purchase it while its young, as i've heard that reduces the chances of it attacking other fish. As for cory cats, wouldn't they compete with my Pleco and Amano Shrimp for algae at the bottom? I Don't want starving fish.
Nah, if you're worried about them all fighting for food, get the Omega One sinking shrimp pellets and feed it to the cories. They really are a peaceful species, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ziggs180 said:

Corys don't eat Algae ! They eat a meat based diet. They will eat algae wafers but don't get much nutrition from them.

Shrimp Pellets
Frozen or live worms Brine Shrimp
Flakes
Sinking catfish food.

Amicus said:
I was thinking maybe about 4-5 cories to help with cleanup or some serape tetras. Is the tank planted?

If you get an Angel perhaps skip Serpae Tetras ( Red Minors ). They are quite nippy with long finned fish. A big school might be ok.

I prefer Bleeding Heart or Lemon Tetras.
Cories are awesome but do best on sand or rounded small gravel.

Corys don't eat Algae ! They eat a meat based diet. They will eat algae wafers but don't get much nutrition from them.

Shrimp Pellets
Frozen or live worms Brine Shrimp
Flakes
Sinking catfish food.
I agree that they don't eat algae, but I feed mine algae wafers because of the high protein content. If you disagree, just ask Severum Mama. She's the one who told me to use it.

Well I'll definitly get an Angelfish for sure. As for cory cats, my Gravel is smooth and rounded river pebbles. I'm not inclined to get any Schooling Tetra species since i'm happy with my Harlequin Rasboras as my schoolers.

Since my tank was just remade and the only Bacteria is in the filter, I'm probably going to wait a bit for the bacteria to colonize the rest of the tank to give more filtration capabilities. Do the different cory species have any big differance to them besides looks?

Well I'll definitly get an Angelfish for sure. As for cory cats, my Gravel is smooth and rounded river pebbles. I'm not inclined to get any Schooling Tetra species since i'm happy with my Harlequin Rasboras as my schoolers.

Since my tank was just remade and the only Bacteria is in the filter, I'm probably going to wait a bit for the bacteria to colonize the rest of the tank to give more filtration capabilities. Do the different cory species have any big differance to them besides looks?
It would be in their best interest to get all of the same species. (E.G. all Zygatus, or all Peppered, etc.)
I do not recommend getting the green ones that is sold at Petsmart, because these are not true cories and get quite large compared to other species. At the very least, get several of each kind so they feel secure with their own species.

Ziggs180 said:

Some have different needs. Pandas prefer cooler water for ex. and can be rather delicate.

Some are larger than others. Hastatus and pygmaeus are both Mid Water swimmers unlike other Corys. Research before you buy ;)

My favorites are peppered and albino corydoras. They definitely prefer to be with their separate categories, I'd suggest keeping 6 or more. I absolutely love my corys, they are my suggestion to anyone just getting started with fw tanks or looking for some lively carnivorous bottom feeders. Shrimp pellets are a must have for them in a gravel based tank or they will damage their scales digging through it. As for algae, maybe a single balloon kisser- make absolutely sure they are the dwarf balloon kisser and not a full size pink gourami which can get to be 4 feet long.

I think you have pink gourami and giant gourami confused ;) They are great for algae however. Had mine for 3 years now and its around 5 inchs, maybe a tad larger...biggest I've ever seen was a 25 year old 13" fish...

I'll definitly have to look at the different species then. I thought the different cory cats were just the same species but with different color patterns. Any other suggestions besides Corys or Angelfish?

I have rehabbed 'pink gouramis' in the past when I was into ponds/ river fish... The owners said the store told them they wouldn't get any bigger than 15" regardless- one was 2 1/2 foot the other was nearing 3 feet. I had to have a local salmon farmer take them.

Oh- and with the corys there are apparently no differences in my peppered and albino corys other than color, but my peppered stick together as half a school and my albinos the other half. Oddly they 'school' together in a crossing paths kind of way and then "settle down" in hiding places across the tanks from each other

Back
Top Bottom