Suggestions for 100G Tropical Freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, this is where I'm at. I'm planning to purchase a Fluval Cannister filter for my tank. I'm not currently cycling at all. I have Prime, pure ammonia from the store, and I'm planning to use Dr. Tims One and Only bacteria. I'm confused in many ways. Can I add plants as I please during the fishless cycle? What about driftwood? I need a few things cleared up.

Okay, this is where I'm at. I'm planning to purchase a Fluval Cannister filter for my tank. I'm not currently cycling at all. I have Prime, pure ammonia from the store, and I'm planning to use Dr. Tims One and Only bacteria. I'm confused in many ways. Can I add plants as I please during the fishless cycle? What about driftwood? I need a few things cleared up.

First thing first let me save you a couple bucks forget the bacteria in a bottle!!!! IMO it doesn't work well but I would use it in an fish in cycle just in case.

You could add plants for sure I would recommend it, could speed up cycle. Drift wood I'm not 100% but don't see why not.

Have you read up on how to cycle and how long it could take.

As for filter any reason for fluval?

I have a few other questions/suggestions to make your life easier but I really don't want to step over the line and basically tell you what to do, I'm a firm believer in learning from experience. I've been keeping fish on and off mainly on for over 30yrs but I'm not an expert or don't think I am. The longer I keep fish and learn the less I realize I know.

You are defiantly not crossing any lines. This is my first tank and I love fish. I love aquariums. I'm fresh out of High School and since I no longer have sports, i wanted to pick up a new hobby. I currently got a job so I'm making money to fund all of this myself but I'll start community college basic course in August so any advice to help me save money and time is awesome. I chose the Fluval because it seems great for the money and its the best one sold anywhere near I can drive to. I honestly don't want to spend money on shipping unless I absolutely have to. The tank I bought, I got a great deal on but of course to my inexperience, I didn't realize some things about it. I have a light fixture that can only hold T8 flourescent bulbs so I had to get a Pet Store which is 45 minutes from where I live order me some that would fit it. I have two 25 watt 50% Full daylight spectrum and 50% Actinic 03 Blue T8 bulbs for my fixture that I got just today. Tank is empty and my substrate is basically just play sand. I'm going to purchase two Ehiem heaters to equal out the heat in my aquarium and just use my Marineland heater as a back up. I want to cycle with a new Fluval cannister filter. As far as fish I thought about Cory's, Plecos, Tetras, Loaches, Hatchet Fish, Blue Ram Cichlids, and Angel Fish. My tank is bow front and is 100 gallons. The dimensions are 39x20x27. I have mostly everything for a cycle. Prime, Test Kit, Pure ammonia but no bacteria. If I don't need it then good. That'll save me money. I just need some detailed help and to be pointed in the right direction. Honestly, I have been FRUSTRATED!

I want this tank to be live plants as well because I know it helps the water quality a lot, look more natural, and helps the fish's stress.

I want this tank to be live plants as well because I know it helps the water quality a lot, look more natural, and helps the fish's stress.

Perfect ok I just don't want to be like many people here. I'm very happy to help you out with as much advice as you want. First thing don't get frustrated or upset this is all supposed to be fun and a hobby. We all have made mistakes and still do.

Do you have any friends or family nearby with a healthy aquarium? That could really speed up the cycle

If you are looking to save $ and stuff check out dr foster & smith online their prices are great and shipping is usually free. I am in Canada and I even use them to save money over my lfs (I need to pay for shipping)

Here are a few questions just to help me help you

How much time a week do you have to maintain it?
Are you setting up a qt/hospital tank?
Are there any fish you really don't like?

I get off work usually around 5:30 to 6:00 in the afternoon. So every afternoon the aquarium can get my attention and including the weekends.

I'm not currently setting up a hospital tank because of money purpose. I could probably clear out space.

I'm not really sure what fish I don't like because I'm open to look at all of them.

I just reread what fish you like I think all are good except maybe the blue ram they can be very sensitive and hard to maintain. I would suggest looking at Bolivian rams I have both types and honestly the Bolivians IMO look as nice are hardier and have more personality.

So loaches which type? Angels could work I would get a few or a single. I mentioned a large group of Cory cats in my stocking suggestion as for the pleco I have and have had many but am not a fan of them often they are more work then worth.

Are heard that maybe 3 zebra loaches with a couple yo yo loaches are good.

I get off work usually around 5:30 to 6:00 in the afternoon. So every afternoon the aquarium can get my attention and including the weekends.

I'm not currently setting up a hospital tank because of money purpose. I could probably clear out space.

I'm not really sure what fish I don't like because I'm open to look at all of them.

Perfect so you'll have the couple hours on a weekend to do PWCs and the scheduled stuff .

I've never had a qt/hospital tank usually set one up then I stock it....

I would honestly start now by getting the filter and starting the cycle which will take at least a couple weeks to months if your starting fresh

I'm planning to put plants in so maybe they will speed it up.

For sure it will help but still will be weeks, that's why I asked about a friend or someone with a cycled healthy tank. With seeded (cycled) material from another tank I've cycled new tanks in a few days

If I was you I would also visit aqadvisor.com and start a tank there. It's not perfect but will help give you an idea of how many fish and how much
Bioload they have. A while ago I really wanted a sail-fin phantoms pleco until I realized that one fish would be about 30 % of my tank stocking.

Great advice so far but I'd like to add a few things.

Plants won't help speed up the cycle, only added ammonia will do that. With 2 t8 bulbs I wouldn't expect to do much more than low light plants which would inclue anubias, java moss, java fern, and bolbitis.

German Blue Rams are a pita to keep alive in an aquarium but it can be done. I would definitely wait until the tank has been cycled at least a month before trying them and even then I would start out with 1 pair and work my way up to 2 or possibly even 3 pairs from there. As for the bolivian rams, I've never even seen them in person because they aren't popular around here so I'm not sure about them.

With any type of loach I would probably avoid stocking less than 4 of them.

How many filters are you planning on running with this tank?

Great advice so far but I'd like to add a few things.

Plants won't help speed up the cycle, only added ammonia will do that. With 2 t8 bulbs I wouldn't expect to do much more than low light plants which would inclue anubias, java moss, java fern, and bolbitis.

German Blue Rams are a pita to keep alive in an aquarium but it can be done. I would definitely wait until the tank has been cycled at least a month before trying them and even then I would start out with 1 pair and work my way up to 2 or possibly even 3 pairs from there. As for the bolivian rams, I've never even seen them in person because they aren't popular around here so I'm not sure about them.

With any type of loach I would probably avoid stocking less than 4 of them.

How many filters are you planning on running with this tank?

One big cannister one.

I find that either running 2 filters or a powerhead is the best option for getting rid of dead spots in an aquarium, especially larger tanks. It might be something worth looking at.

I find that either running 2 filters or a powerhead is the best option for getting rid of dead spots in an aquarium, especially larger tanks. It might be something worth looking at.

I agree plus I always say redundancy is always good. I always run 2 filters that way of one malfunctions you have the other still running which gives you a little more time to fix/replace broken.

As for Bolivian rams they are not as popular at all but I'm not sure why here are my pair they are amazing plus a pic of one of my blue rams

image-4088104781.jpg

image-3902040453.jpg

The OP is new to aquariums so IMO a pair of one type or both type of rams is better then adding several pairs less chance of aggression

Attachments

• image-652983230.jpg
    image-652983230.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 56
I have a powerhead but its to strong fir this tank and creates a large current.

Back
Top Bottom