Suggestions for 100G Tropical Freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't really angle it and it came with the tank. It's an international filter.

I can't really angle it and it came with the tank. It's an international filter.

Ok that sucks, maybe try and sell it in CL to finance something else.....

I would worry about most details once the tank is cycled or almost

Would you happen to have some extra seeding material you could send me?

Would you happen to have some extra seeding material you could send me?

I would be more then happy to send you some but there are some issues with that. From your profile I see you are in Alabama and I'm in Canada. It is difficult to ship what is considered live bacteria and it needs to stay wet and access to air plus temperature controlled. That's all besides the actual cost to ship

If I was you I would just start the cycle with the ammonia you have. Unless someone near you has seeded material, it's better just to get the ball rolling

Well, dang! Didn't want to do that. Can you help me out with deciding how to plant my tank?

I've been following and noticed you said you have 2- 50/50 bulbs? Part of it is actinic? You do not want to use these bulbs due to the actinic being a very high range of blue light that in freshwater only algae will be able to use.

I also would not suggest adding any GBR's until the tank is 4-6 months mature. They do much better in stable mature tanks. And honestly when GBR's are young they can do okay in larger numbers in a big tank but as they mature and pair off aggression becomes greater. I have a 100% planted 220g tank that started with 11 young GBR's. As they matured, even with all the plants and room I finally ended up keeping 2 pairs only. There is still aggression but it is much better with only two pairs. I've also kept a pair of GBR's in a planted tank with a pair of Bolivian Rams and there is still the same amount of aggression. Not saying it can't be done but should you chose to keep more than one pair of any rams you need to have a lot of plants and DW so pairs can have separate and private territories.

This whole live plant thing is starting to become really frustrating and hard.

It's like anything else that's new to you that you have to go slow and learn as much as you can before starting. You already have your light but the bulbs you use need to be the right ones for optimum growth. You should be able to exchange your bulbs for the correct ones and be thankful you know this now before you actually started using them. It will get easier and sometimes when it gets to frustrating you need to take a day or two off from messing with the tank so you can refocus in a better frame of mind. It's suppose to be a fun hobby.

Okay, here's what has been bumbling around in my head as a stocking option. Feel free to give thought and advice.

10x Cory Cats
3x Zebra Loaches
2x YoYo loaches
7x Lemon Tetras
7x Cardinal Tetras
4x Angels
1x Rubber nose pleco
2x Bristlenose Pleco
7x hatchetfish
4x Dalmation Mollies

Then a cleanup grew with like snails and shrimp.

You should do one bristlenose pleco and the rubber nose pleco instead of two bristlenose plecos...and for snails you could do some nerite snails and maybe some amano shrimp....you could also do some mystery snails and you could try doing cherry shrimp but I would stick with amano shrimp because they are bigger and less likely to be eaten

Okay, here's what has been bumbling around in my head as a stocking option. Feel free to give thought and advice.

10x Cory Cats
3x Zebra Loaches
2x YoYo loaches
7x Lemon Tetras
7x Cardinal Tetras
4x Angels
1x Rubber nose pleco
2x Bristlenose Pleco
7x hatchetfish
4x Dalmation Mollies

I like that list I would just change a couple things either 2 bristlenose pleco or 1 bristle and one rubber. I'd also make it 10 Lemon and 10 cardinal tetras (personally would change of of those schools to mosquito or harlequin rasboras I find them nicer and hardier. But it is what you like best) also I would remove the mollies they are technically brackish not fresh water.

Also I'd add 2-3 to each type of loach they all do better 5+ groups. As for clean up crew snails or shrimp with those loaches will not last long.

10x Cory Cats
3x Zebra Loaches
2x YoYo loaches
7x Lemon Tetras
7x Cardinal Tetras
4x Angels
1x Rubber nose pleco
2x Bristlenose Pleco
7x hatchetfish
4x Dalmation Mollies

With having 10 cory cats I'd only do 3 or either the Zebra or Yo-yo loaches so you don't have so many bottom feeders. I've kept 3 Yo-yo's in my 220g and before that in another tank for 4 years and the little group does fine. They can be a little hard on plant with their rowdiness and digging around so I would not do a lot of them. Plus they can easily outcompete cory's for food.

I'd up the angels to 6 simply because when angels are kept in groups of 6 or more aggression is more spread out and no one angels tends to get picked on constantly.

I only keep 1 longfin albino bristlenose pleco in my 220g. Honestly you don't need 3 and they can become aggressive especially with food or if you get all males. Instead of multiple pleco's you could add a couple Whiptail catfish. They are sucker cats and you have a large enough tank for 2. I keep 3 whiptails with the 1 bnp and it works great. I put two 3/8" slices of blanched zucchini hung on veggie clips in the tank every other day and both the pleco and whiptails eat on them. They also come out and eat through the day. I put the zucchini in with the morning feeding and take it out the next day at morning feeding. Every other day seems to keep them well fed without stuffing them. The Yo-yo's and angels also eat on them throughout the day.

I'd up the hatchets, cardinals, and lemons to 10 each as a larger school makes a better impact in a large tank. I would also drop the mollies.

Something else to think about is keeping shrimp with Angels. Angels will eat shrimp especially as they mature. I'd forgo shrimp and just get some nerite snails and maybe 6 months down the road you could add some oto cats. I have around 22 oto's that have been in the tank for over a year.

The loaches won't harm the snails? Could I add one more schooling fish?

It's a 50/50 chance that the loaches will eat the snails. My yo-yo loaches only eat my pond snails and leave the nerites and MTS alone. They will harass long antenna snails like mystery and ramshorns.

In a 100g tank if you don't do the loaches then yes you can add another small schooling fish or DG if you'd rather. Remember you already have 3 schooling fish (hatchets, cardinals, and lemons) and one thing I can tell you about large tanks is that if you get too many different types of schooling fish the tank begins to look busy.

It's a 50/50 chance that the loaches will eat the snails. My yo-yo loaches only eat my pond snails and leave the nerites and MTS alone. They will harass long antenna snails like mystery and ramshorns.

In a 100g tank if you don't do the loaches then yes you can add another small schooling fish or DG if you'd rather. Remember you already have 3 schooling fish (hatchets, cardinals, and lemons) and one thing I can tell you about large tanks is that if you get too many different types of schooling fish the tank begins to look busy.

Makes sense to me. I haven't yet finalized what exactly I want. Just asking y'all what you would think and trying to mix them with my ideas! Here's a revised list!

10x Cory Cats
3x Zebra loaches (Or Yo-Yo)
2x Whiptail Catfish
1x Albino Longfin Pleco
10x Lemon Tetra
10x (Undecided schooling fish)
10x (Undecided top water schooling fish)
3x Neon DG
6x Angels

To much? I can always revise.

Back
Top Bottom