Swiching to PFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd like to switch to PFS in my 55 g FW

What's the best way to remove gravel without scratching tank?

What do I do with my fish when changing the substrate? Plants too?

How do I clean PFS? Rinsing I know but, it's sand won't it just wash away?

How much sand do I need for a 55 gal ( a few inches I suppose) PFS is sold in 50 pound bags (5.50 each here) ?

Will I need any sand stirrer? If so what's the best ?

Thanks in advance!

Really nobody? I need help with this, I'm planning on getting the sand tomorrow and putting it In this weekend.....

When I made my switch I just did a massive water change remove the fish and place into a bucket of tank water scoop out gravel with net (by hand for the last bit) place rinsed sand in softly as to not get to much cloudiness and refill...if you would like you could just place an air pump into the bucket with a heater to give the tank a hour or 2 to settle

Ok cool! How do I rinse the sand? And I have around 21 fish ( biggest being an angel) I think l need 3 buckets , 2 for the fish and 1 for the plants and filter stuff. Won't taking out the gravel take out some BB as well?

Put the sand in a bucket and run the hose through it then poor off any cloudy water and repeat. PFS is quite heavy so it doesnt get washed away. 50 pounds should be enough but then I work in kg.

Thanks mumma! Seems Easter than I thought. I read that anything that says sillicone to stay away from, the advertisement on the link I posted says silicate, is it ok? Rinsing it with hose water ( not declorinated) is that ok?

Edit: not Easter -.- I hate auto correct

Bubbles0oO said:
Thanks mumma! Seems Easter than I thought. I read that anything that says sillicone to stay away from, the advertisement on the link I posted says silicate, is it ok? Rinsing it with hose water ( not declorinated) is that ok?

Edit: not Easter -.- I hate auto correct

Silica sand is fine. Hose waters fine also. The tiny bit of chlorine left will do nothing when you add it to the tank.

Now I have heard about gas bubbles that form under the sand, is this true? Will I need a sand stirrer or something?

So I get a 50 pound bag and rinse it well then take the fish out and seperate into buckets of tank water along w/ plants and filter stuff. Large waterchange then scoop out gravel with a net and scoop sand into tank . Put a bubbler in with the fish and a heater to keep them OK until they can go back in. How long will it take to settle? I think I'll need 4-5 buckets ? Should I leave he filter off for awhile so it won't suck up the sand?

When I've changed over from gravel to sand, I use a handheld dustpan to scoop up the gravel. Like this: Casabella Small Dust Pan Set 56359#

I'm able to get lots of gravel in each scoop and it has never scratched the bottom of the tank. I would think that a net would eventually get rips in it from the gravel.

I have posted this a couple times... fail proof way of doing substrate swaps:

-Unplug heater
-Start draining tank halfway
-Remove decor
-Fill bucket with tank water
-Unplug filter and put media in bucket with tank water
-Net fish and add to bucket with media
-Drain rest of the way
-Use a container to scoop gravel out (or if you have a wet/dry shop vacuum, use that, it's sooo much easier)
-Rinse substrate (recommend using pillow case trick)
-Add Substrate
-Add base decor
-Add water halfway
-Plug heater in
-Add rest of decor/plants
-Fill up rest of the way with water
-Treat water with conditioner
-Drip acclimate fish
-Set filter up
-Net fish back to tank after drip acclimation

The pillow case trick is the slickest thing I've ever learned. Get a clean pillow case. Dump 10-15lbs of sand in it at a time, stick your garden hose down in the case and stir the sand around with the water on. Keep doing this until the water that is running out of the bottom comes out clear.

It is a lot easier than doing it in a bucket and IMO, it does a better job of cleaning the sand.

Wow guys thanks! Now I'm exited lol I won't do anything untill this weekend though, only have to wait a day :D

So I get a 50 pound bag and rinse it well then take the fish out and seperate into buckets of tank water along w/ plants and filter stuff. Large waterchange then scoop out gravel with a net and scoop sand into tank . Put a bubbler in with the fish and a heater to keep them OK until they can go back in. How long will it take to settle? I think I'll need 4-5 buckets ? Should I leave he filter off for awhile so it won't suck up the sand?

I switched to pfs in one of my 29g. It has a larger grain and won't get sucked into your filter. I let it settle for about 15 minutes, then I added the fish. Be sure to acclimate them first. VERY IMPORTANT: don't forget to rinse the sand until the water runs clear. That is the trick, my tank was clear in no time after the switch, but I rinsed it like crazy.
Good luck and please post pics when you can!:)

It will take out some of the BB, but most is in the filter and the decor and the sides of the tank.

OK! now im PUMPED!!! lol gonna try to get my dad to go buy the sand for me XD instead of Home work ill be washing my sand ;)

Very nice..I agree, 110% better! Cleaning is so much easier too. Your tank looks great.

Back
Top Bottom