Swordtail pregnant, trying to keep babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
So My swordtail is pretty prego I think. She's so square bellied I'm pretty sure if I took her out of the tank and I set her down she wouldn't fall over even if she tried. Anyway I'm trying to keep the fry, normally I would just let "nature" take it's course, but I feel like since I know that she's about to pop I should do something. Anyway, I put here in a breeding trap today and she's been in there for a bit and when I look at the bottom of the trap I see what I swear is unfertilized eggs. Is this normal? Does that mean none of her eggs are fertilized? Is my biggest and prettiest swordie infertile? Any thoughts? The pic isn't the best quality, sorry, they're the little bubble looking things at the bottom

Attachments

• image-312324670.jpg
    image-312324670.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 99
I thought sword tails were like Platys. What do they look like?

I thought sword tails were like Platys. What do they look like?
Thats why im confused, they're live-bearers, but she dropping clear eggs, one was a yellowish dirty looking egg. There was one when I looked a while ago, now there a new clear bubble/egg thing every 30 minutes, 5 now at the bottom of the breeder. So weird

Yep, definitely eggs, or an embryo sack or something. I looked closer to the yellowish one and its not just a color, it has a tiny tiny little undeveloped fish fry. You can see the eyes and a body type thing, looks like a tad pole

Well time answered all of our questions, those were definitely egg sacks of some sort and our fish is definitely not infertile. We're the proud new parents of about 40 fry!

So my early estimates were a little off, we haven't lost any fry so far though! I always lose track but I think maybe 26.... or something like that. They're so awesome, I got them a ten gallon to grow up in today

Attachments

• DSCN0456.jpg
    DSCN0456.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom