Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Novice 12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so i am just beginning my little aquarium and i dont know much about fish. I have a 5 gallon tank with a blue gourami and a common goldfish (both adults). They have been in the same tank for around a week now and they havnt had any problems with eachother. I know for sure that the gourami is a female and i think the goldfish is a male. I was wondering what other fish would be compatable with my gourami if i would ever decide to get a bigger tank. Please let me know thanks

That tank is to small for a goldfish and even a gourami imo your already overstocked

Please keep in mind that the goldfish is only around an inch or so long

U should go bigger now and keep who u have. U said both "adults", there are not many goldfish that max out at 1". So go bigger before they get ammonia burns.

Ok that is another question that i had. Is there and kind of filter or water treatment that reduces ammonia levels?

No, water change is the only thing that would reduce it. Right now with the fish u have to prevent long term issues u should be doing daily 100% water change. This would be terribly shocking for the fish and u would be in a constant cycling process. So go bigger if u want these guys to live a long happy life

Fish Novice 12 said:
Ok so i am just beginning my little aquarium and i dont know much about fish. I have a 5 gallon tank with a blue gourami and a common goldfish (both adults). They have been in the same tank for around a week now and they havnt had any problems with eachother. I know for sure that the gourami is a female and i think the goldfish is a male. I was wondering what other fish would be compatable with my gourami if i would ever decide to get a bigger tank. Please let me know thanks

Hi,
Unfortunately the tank is too small for those two fish. Blue gouramis can max out at 5 inches and require at least a 30gallon tank. Common goldfish are expected to reach at least a foot if not more in size. They also do much better in cooler water whereas the gourami needs tropical temperatures. The goldfish is ideally a pond fish but can be kept in a 50+ gallon tank if need be. Both your fish could be suffering from stunting. This is where the fishes growth is slowed or stopped. It can cause deformities and ill health and is irreversible. Once in the correct conditions the fish can continue to grow and thrive but will never reach their full potential.
No amount of filtration will be able to keep up with the output of ammonia from the goldfish in a tank that size. The very best thing you can do right now is keep up frequent large water changes to keep toxin levels low.

Ok thanks i will start saving up money for a bigger tank. About the gourami i know that it is full grown because she used to live in my neighbors 70 gallon tank before he moved and had to give the gourami to me. The gourami is only 2-3 inches long

I am sorry if I seemed harsh. I just don't want deaths and u get discouraged and give up on this amazing hobby. Before I buy any fish or make major changes I always ask people on this site advice because it real life experience. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for help

Back
Top Bottom