Tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason6942

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it safe to say that if I put two dwarf gourami and two South American puffers together in a 10 gallon rectangle with plastic plants along the back of the aquarium the would get along. Or would they fight or challenge each other over food and territory. Also is five gallon to small for 5 guppies

Is it safe to say that if I put two dwarf gourami and two South American puffers together in a 10 gallon rectangle with plastic plants along the back of the aquarium the would get along. Or would they fight or challenge each other over food and territory. Also is five gallon to small for 5 guppies

Aren't puffers aggressive though? Saw a post a while back and someone bought puffers and found out they were fin nippers. Also some breeders list them as semi aggressive.

As far as I know the South American puffers are the only commuity ones at least that's what the LFS told me.

SA puffers are generally regarded as one of the more peaceful species of puffers, but from what I understand can still be nippy toward tank mates and may not be the best choice for a community tank. Here is a profile: The Nice Puffer: Colomesus asellus, the South American Puffer

For certain, I would not recommend this species for a 10 gallon tank. If your LFS is telling you that this would be a stocking plan that is likely to work out in the long term, I would caution you to take their advice with a grain of salt.

A single dwarf gourami would be suitable for a 10 gallon tank, perhaps with some small schooling fish like ember tetras, or maybe a few amano shrimp.

They are to an extent, a 10 gallon would not allow much room for error with these little guys tho. I would just do a couple puffers in that size tank as they can be super messy as well.

10 gal isn't long enough for South American Puffers. They need a longer tank. Plus, your tank would be severely overstocked.

Guppies in a 5 gallon isn't ideal, but you can have a pair of males, or maybe 4 or 5 endlers.

There would be a lot of ethical concerns from SA puffer owners since they would strongly recommend them in 4ft tanks. There is a huge difference between putting them in 4ft long tank vs 1ft tank. These fish naturally dart around the tank, constantly swimming in groups. They generally do not show the same behavior when not in a group or shoved in a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom