Tank Repair, whats safe for livestock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a minor leak at the top of my rectangle 29G tank. Looks like I am going to have to motel everyone for a little bit and fix the problem. The thing is I am not really sure how to do it. s\Should I just add the silicon glue on top where the leak is located in the inner of the tank, and also is this glue safe for the little guys in the future, or is my paranoia being paranoid? 8O Thanks!

Should I just add the silicon glue on top where the leak is located in the inner of the tank,

Is the tank leaking at the seam?, how far down into the tank?

and also is this glue safe for the little guys in the future, or is my paranoia being paranoid?

If you use silicon meant for aquarium use (should be able to buy it at the LFS) then yes it will be perfectly safe.

it is leaking at the seam, at the very top of the tank, basically it leaks when I fill the tank up to that level. I reason for filling it a bit towards the top is for the light, for the plants.

If it is just leaking at the very top of the seam, I would think you could drain the tank down a few inches below the leak and slap some silicone over the seam as a patch, give it a couple of days to cure and then fill it back up. This is not the proper way to fix it, that would entail dismantling the entire tank, removing all the silicone and then resealing, but in your situation, I would probably settle for the patch.

Awesome, yeah that would definately suck if an entire tank had to be dismantled. I am almost done setting up the DIY CO2 system (pray it works :wink: ) for the 29G. How would you go about getting rid of excess silicon that got onto the tank wall, should it happen?? Thanks!

How would you go about getting rid of excess silicon that got onto the tank wall, should it happen??

After it's cured, 48 hours IME, use a razor blade to cut/scrape away the excess. This is tricky in the case of a patch, because you don't want to re-expose the leaking spot underneath. Best to be very careful when applying the slicone, and try hard not to make a mess(easier said than done).

The product I use is made by GE you can get it at a home improvment store, waay cheaper than the stuff at the fish store. Dont be mislead by the name and look at the tube VERY carefully before purchasing, make sure you get the right one.

GE Household Glue 100% Silicone Sealant, Clear.

It's pure silicone sealant, same compound as tank manufacturers use. Tube is white and gold. GE also makes a white silicone, DO NOT use that, that is for bathroom apps.

I would use the silicone corvuscorax is talking about...have used it many times before. Put some on the end of your finger and work it into the seam. When you have enough on there, use a razor blade before it sets to clean up around the seam if you smeared some where you didn't want it. I'd go an inch or so below the leak with the silicone. All you really have to do is clean up around the edges...you'll never notice the patch once the tank is refilled. You can wait till it's cured, but I always try to clean it up while it's still soft.
Logan J

IMHO, you will get a nicer finish by applying a little masking tape to either side of the seam, then applying the silicone, into the joint, then remove the tape.

No cleanup required and the finish looks like a pro job.

Dang, Targaboy, simple but excellent idea!

what the heck, I'll toss 50 your way too!

Back
Top Bottom