Tank size ratings of canister filters. Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering if the rating that the product says should be trusted. Example, eheim 2213 says it can be used for up to 65gallon tank. Can I trust that this filter would be enough for my 50g

A lot of people suggest to get larger filters, this is why I am questioning.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It depends on how you stock, really. A lightly stocked tank is fine with less filtration than a fully stocked tank. Lots of folks go bigger because they push the stocking limits. And, new ones are often priced so similarly that it's only a few dollars more to go up a step.

I will say that I have the 2215 on a 65 and it's a great match for the tank. I wouldn't put it on a much smaller tank, though, because the spray bar really moves the whole surface and you don't want to be pushing the fish around too much. Unless you have fish that naturally live in streams, of course... I'd expect that the 2213 is perfectly fine for a 50. Some folks will opt for two smaller filters rather than a single bigger one. That's fine too but you'd be looking at HOBs rather than canisters.

Your filter is fine for the job. I have a fluval 305 rated for up to a 70 gallon filtering a 60gal. And my tank is moderately stocked.

General rule is ignore any tank ratings and make sure the GPH is at least 5 times your tank volume. Filtration isn't overly relevant to stocking.

I have the 2213 on my 29, but replaced the green spray bar it comes with, with the spray bar kit... it looks nicer, and lessens the current for my smaller tank. If you do get the 2213, look into getting rid of the media basket it comes with. I did. I found with the basket there seems to be some bypass around it... as there would be 'dust bunnies' of gunk sitting on the top of the basket when I'd do my monthly cleaning of it.

The water in my tank would always be clear, but since removing the basket, there wouldn't be anymore of those 'dust bunnies' on top. Also, with the basket removed, you increase the capacity about 0.7 of a liter, so you could add more biomedia/whatever you want.

To replace the basket, you'd have to get two 2215 lattice screens* (they're easier to find on ebay... just cut the outer ring off, and it fits perfect) one for the top, one for the bottom... and either get the 2215 course filter and jam in in there**, or what i got was the Fluval 303 foam filter, as it fit perfect.

Helpful links:
* Eheim Classic Lattice Screen for Canister Filters 2215 PT 7274050 | eBay

** Eheim 2213.Removing the media basket to increase media capacity.

Back
Top Bottom