Tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Now to be clear i do not have the tank yet and am not sure what i will even be getting. Only things i do know for sure is it will be between 30 and 75 gallons (broad i know). It will also be heavily planted.

It will be sand no matter what, The type is still up in the air but im looking for something that will be good for corys and plants and most likely black or something very dark.

Thinking low/med light (if anyone is going to be selling some low/med light plant packages in the next 1-2 months let me know)

These are currently what im planning on, The rest is up for debate.
5-6 pygmy corys
RCS and maybe 1/2 amano

Pretty much where im sitting right now with this. I don't know exactly what other species i might want to put in, thats why im here. What i do want though is either one species that loves to school or maybe a few that will all school together. Im planning on this being a peaceful tank with nano fish? If thats what you call them. I want there to either be a massive school or a bunch of smaller schools.

Some kind of fish that will just pop. I love cardinal tetras but already have a tank with them and cant really think of anything else to be honest.Maybe like 1 centerpiece fish that wont get super big but a bit bigger then everything else but peaceful still?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Keyhole Cichlid will work for a centerpiece BUT you need decent size fish as if it can fit in the mouth it's a snack(like most all fish will do this).....

If this is all nano fish.... Then a honey gourami may be better option.

Both are peaceful though.

Caleb

yea i want nano fish, i will have to look into the honey gourami. Still not sure what nano fish i actually want though

In a big tank up your numbers of Nano fish.

Think 20-30 Pygmy Cories.

Look at CPDs , Threadfin Rainbowfish, Ember Tetras,

But large groups of whatever you choose.

Shrimp babies are food to fish. Adults are food to many non nano fish.

For peaceful bigger fish ?
Harlequin Rasboras
Cherry Barbs
Glowlight Tetras
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Some may pick on RCS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently my favorite nanos are pygmy spotted rasboras (B. maculatus). Peaceful, active, and really nice color:

img_3310528_0_e38aa852b1fc8cac3e9d6204d6a70412.jpg

Most centerpiece fish will most likely go after even adult shrimp.

centerpiece fish isn't a guarantee so if thats the case no need for one.

Currently my list of possible nanos

: Ember Tetra
: Ruby Tetra
: Emerald Dwarf Rasbora
: Pygmy Spotted Rasboras
: Sundadanio axelrodi (Neon Blue Rasbora)
: Black neons
: Exclamation point Rasbora

Good to know, thanks.

I noticed Honey gourami mentioned earlier. I like the colors and although the shrimp don't have to be a sure thing i would like them, So my compromise would be the Pygmy gourami. I am fully aware that shrimplets will have a hard time surviving but im going to be planting it pretty heavy so even if a few or even none make it i guess its ok. I have a shrimp only tank either way.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Good to know, thanks.

I noticed Honey gourami mentioned earlier. I like the colors and although the shrimp don't have to be a sure thing i would like them, So my compromise would be the Pygmy gourami. I am fully aware that shrimplets will have a hard time surviving but im going to be planting it pretty heavy so even if a few or even none make it i guess its ok. I have a shrimp only tank either way.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Pygmy Gourami ?

Honey Gourami are more peaceful than Dwarf Gourami

Sparkling Gourami are very cute Nano fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what i was talking about, came up as pygmy gourami. Would be a bit bigger then everything else im planning on but not too big.

Maybe mine were the exception but I had sparkling gouramis that ate adult shrimp. I've kept them in other community setups without any problems. In a larger tank it might not be an issue but definitely something you should be aware of.

Back
Top Bottom