Tap Water OR Stored Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClassicRocker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm just wondering...........where do you get your water from for water changes? Does it come right out of the tap, into a container and into the tank OR do you fill up a container/containers, store them and use when doing a water change?

I saved and cleaned out some 1 gallon plastic milk containers. I let hot water sit in each one over night and really rinsed each out. Then, I filled with tap water and sit near the aquarium. Since our tank is only a 5 gallon one, I only keep 3 gallons b/c I never do more than a 50% water change which would be 2 1/2 gallons. I keep them at room temperature, so they are only a few degrees cooler than the water in the tank.

But, I'm starting to wonder if that "bottled" water is fresh enough for doing a water change. "Right out of the tap" would definitely be fresh water and, using an aquarium thermometer, I could make sure the tap water is very close to the temperature of the tank water.

So, which do you do??

I match tap water close to tank water temp and just dechlor it before adding.

I got a hose adapter for my sink. I match temp and put water straight into the tank. I add dechlorinator first. mine is also a 75 gallon tank and using any kind of container to fill and empty would just be too laborious.

Straight from the tap, temperature is roughly matched, treat the water and add to the tank. I keep a couple of old plastic pitchers under the tank stand to use for water changes and just add the prime directly to those containers prior to filling the tanks.

+1 straight from the tap, plus dechlorinator straight in the aquarium, add enough for full volume of tank not the % replaced. Check your tap PH and Nitrate first to see if it will roughly match the requirements of the fish you want to keep.

If you have chlorine not Chloramines you don't need dechlorinater product.
Ammonia test confirmation of Chloramines.

Product may contain heavy metal binders and other things like iodine and some promotion of a skin coat enzyme, so may be beneficial.

24 hours standing is more than sufficient to gas off all chlorine.

In the uk it's about £10 a bottle. That's 2 week supply for me unless I get the pond stuff, a similar priced bottle lasts about two months. So I cheated out of that bill in every way possible. I used it for almost 10 years, and for most of that time in conjunction with RO water as my tap water is no good. I swapped dechlorinator for a new system which should be cheaper for me.

Good diet=healthy fish (providing they are in suitable and clean water)

Just add an air stone, that will keep the water "fresh"

Back
Top Bottom