Temperature adjustment increments..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was on the chat board for emergency help (they were very helpful :D ) Anyway, I was told to raise the temperature on my 20 gallon tank to 80 deg F (currently 75F)after an extremely fast spreading breakout of ICH and Fin Rot. But the member ( i feel terrible I can't remember his name and he was great!!) told me to do it in increments as to not shock the fish. I can't remember what it was. SO, my question is ... What is the best way to go from 75F to 80F in my tank?

It was me, and I usually suggest no more than 2 degrees every two hours. Also, don't forget about the 10% (only 10% because daily water changes greater than 10% in a 20 gallon tank will change the temperature too much and cause stress on the fish which is the stage the ich looks for in a new host, although some may say 25%) water changes daily while vacuuming the gravel. It's the gravel vacuuming that is going to get rid of the tomonts (the phase 2 of the ich).

TEMPS..

I knew it was 'Bear' something.... Thanks again fro the help!!
unfortunatly the fancytail did not make it :cry: and one of the other crap feeder/planter goldfish died too.
Gosh? do you think the water was too hot for them or the disease was too much for them or the meds were too much for them or they just wanted to die?!?!?!?
Well, now I am not really sure what to do? I never used the heater before (just have goldfish), so i am not sure if the temperature is even correct. I had it (the heater) set at like 76F, but the sticker thermometer on the outside of the glass was reading like 82-86°F... Wow! That is a big difference. Which temp should I go by? and what temp is okay for the goldfish? I thought it was somewhere between 68° and 72°, well, the coldest my water even gets in the tank (naturally) is 75° (well, that is what the sticker themometer says).
So, since you were so incredibly helpful and have given alot of helpful advice to others (noticed your name alot all over other forums :wink: ) can you help me with what to do next?
My last fish is hanging out by itself with no signs of any illness (no ich spots or fin rot), so do I continue to treat the tank? or do I do a little water change and put the filters cartridges(with carbon) back on and continue the set up of the tank? Tank seems to be cycling pretty good. I first set it up on June 6the, but levels seem to be going okay. The alkalinity is pretty high, but I think it is because the water we have is very hard (not sure how it effects the fish). When would be a good time to put more fish back in (not sure if disease is gone or how to rid)? I really appreciate all the help that can be given. :D

Goldfish, even fancies, can survive in water with frost to 100 degree water for a short period of time. Temperature is not going to kill a goldfish (unless it is ice or boiling). I would think it was more the illness.

Next, I would stop medicating and set the temp back to normal. Do at 25% water change and put in the filters again.

Man, I just found the missing piece of information...the tank is less than two weeks old. I was under the impression you had these fish a while from the chat session. Not sure that it would have changed the outcome, but I also would have talked about new tank syndrome. If Ich and Fin Rot were what your fish had, you got them from a LFS that had it. Your tank would be too new to develop it, and wasn't around long enough to become free swimming. Don't worry about that anymore unless it pops up again, but I doubt it.

Still do a 25% water change and put back in the filters. You won't need any additional feeders to cycle the tank. All they are is messy. I recommend Zebra Danios (long finned are better looking) due to their hardniess, and they are so much cleaner.

I hope I answered a question, somewhere in this. :fadein:

new fish now???

Well, now all the fish are dead. :cry:
I am really assuming it was more where they originally came from then what I actually did. My levels on ammonia, nitrate and PH were going well, so I am not too sure if was actually 'new tank syndrome that killed them all'. I know for sure that they had ICH and fin rot. Where it came from... who knows??? :?
I will now change 25% of the water and put back the cartridges in the filters. How soon would you say I should stick more fish in there? You recommended Zebra Danios. Would 2 of those be fine to start with for a few more weeks, until my tank completely cycles. Do the Zebra Danios require a certain temperature? meaning, should I always have the heater on if my glass sticker thermometer reads like '76°'?
Again I can not tank you enough for all the help!!! :p

Back
Top Bottom