Temperature problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaphia1

Aquarium Advice Regular
How do I keep the temperature in my tank down?! It is climbing and my heater is almost off!

If the heater is almost off and the temp is still climbing I would suspect the heater is malfunctioning. Where is the temp now? What types of fish do you have? Do you have a spare heater?

Yep, unless you live in a warm climate I would be taking the heater out. If you do live in a warm climate and you are afraid that it is getting to hot, you can take the lid off, use a fan on the tank, turn the lights off, or freezing a water bottle and float them.

My apartment has radiator heat, so it can get warm. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a ten gal tank with 3 guppies, a platty, and 10 red cherry shrimp. Some live plants as well. the fish should be good as far as the temp right now, 80F. But it is at the edge of their range. I would like to hover at 78, partially cause our apartment is warm and I am attempting to breed.

The heater has an on/off light, and I have never seen it come on. I guess I'll unplug it and see if that was the problem...

Even if the heater light is off, it may be transferring heat into the water. I'd unplug it and see if that helps. Otherwise, taking off the top and blowing a fan across the surface will tend to lower the temperature by 2 degrees or so. Just be warned... Those fans tend to get pretty noisy around the 3-6 month mark depending on their quality, whether you have furry pets, and if the fan has been running non-stop.

Your lights certainly won't put off much heat. I would remove the heater. If that isn't enough, try turning the heat down in your apartment, that may do just enough that you don't have to mess with a fan.

I think the apartment was just too warm. The air would heat up and cool down faster than the water, which would stay at 80-82F. Now we are downs to 76-78. Which is a solid temp for me. Thanks for all the advice, as it obviously helped me! :)

Unplug the heater totally and see if the temp drops if it doesn't the heater is fine

You say the heater is nearly of you shouldn't mess with the heater settings at all as it should only ever go to what the temp is set at be it 78 or 82

Other things can heat the tank lights on to long or a filter problem the more and bigger pumps you have on a tank the more heat is in the water

Back
Top Bottom