Territorial ropefish ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've kept ropefish for quite sometime, as a matter of fact when my lfs has had an issue with one at the store they usually call me. Ropefish are social with each other and prefer other ropefish and that has been my experience until now. I currently have three ropefish. One started to become territorial over a specific cave in the aquarium, but only toward the other ropes (not my angels or GBR's). The aggression slowly spread to the other caves as well (three total). It has now progressed to where the other ropes can go near him anywhere in the tank. He hasn't damaged any of the other ropes, but I don't think they're very happy about him nipping and biting them.
I am currently trying to rehome him, but I am baffled by the behavior and wondered if anyone else has had this issue with a rope. He's well fed, there's plenty of room in the tank, and the water parameters are good. Any thoughts or ideas?

Oh my! I don't really have any experience with ropefish, but hopefully somebody else will chime in who can help you out more. Have you tried re-arranging the tank a bit? Or putting him in a "time out" tank to give your other fish a break?

Possible due to some breeding type behavior, just a wild guess.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I first had two (one of them the aggressive one) then I got two more slightly smaller in hopes more ropes in the community would curb aggression. One of the new smaller refused to eat (which is not uncommon when put in a new environment), and he passed away. This left me with the three. As I said before, my other two get along perfectly and adding more doesn't seem curb the aggression.
I believe I am going to have to take him back to the lfs today. He'd be great for someone who only wants one, as he doesn't act aggressive toward any of the other fish.

The lfs was thrilled to take him and stated that many people only want one (which the normally advise against since they like to be kept in groups). They're going to order me another rope to replace him. I am sorta sad though, I get very attached to my ropes and their personalities.

Rope fish

You said they haven't been bred in captivity but can you visually sex them, maybe the behavior is a male vs female temperment. I had one many ,many years ago and I agree they are really neat fish. Loved them.....Alison:)

I took him back to the lfs and he found a home with a person who only wanted one.
I've known many others who have kept ropefish and they were even baffled by the behavior. Especially since he was the only male among two females. However, in my research (since I still want answers lol) I ran across a post in another forum from 2008 where an experienced keeper had a single ropefish that was territorial in the same way (only with other ropes). So I believe it's just one of those situations where 1 out of 100 have this strange trait.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom