Test kits: API vs SeaChem vs RedSea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did a quick measure last night on a tube, got an outer diameter of 17/32", roughly 13mm. I don't have calipers, so I can't do an inner diameter measurement, but API said it was 11mm. Is anyone able to verify one, or preferably both, of these values?

dmolavi said:
I did a quick measure last night on a tube, got an outer diameter of 17/32", roughly 13mm. I don't have calipers, so I can't do an inner diameter measurement, but API said it was 11mm. Is anyone able to verify one, or preferably both, of these values?

If you have a way to measure the wall thickness of the tube then just double and subtract from 13mm and you'll have the ID

If you have a way to measure the wall thickness of the tube then just double and subtract from 13mm and you'll have the ID

I think I'm just going to pick up a pair of calipers at my hardware store; they are able to do ID and OD measurements very precisely.

dmolavi said:
I think I'm just going to pick up a pair of calipers at my hardware store; they are able to do ID and OD measurements very precisely.

I can get the measurement Monday. I've got calipers and micrometers at work but I can't bring them home since they belong to the company. If you wanna wait that is.

Looks like the thread has evolved a bit, but I will weigh in on the OP: I have used API, Salifert, and RedSea test kits. I much prefer the redsea kits. Several of them have better resolution on tests, the kits are high quality, and actually in the long run they are cheaper because they offer refills for the titration solutions... so you only have the larger expense upfront for the halfway decent test vials and droppers.

I wish I could get a "trial sized" test kit that would do 5 or 10 tests, just to kick the tires. I hate buying an entire kit, using it a few times, only to realize I can't stand it. I might query the usual suspects (Salifert, RedSea, SeaChem) to see if they can accommodate such a request.

That being said, I picked up a pair of calipers today (needed them for another project anyway), and got a hair over 11mm ID on the tubes. I will locate the appropriate stoppers and post a note soon.

Edit: I'm thinking of these - http://www.lcmlab.com/12mm_Thumb_Caps_Multi_Color_for_Glass_Test_Tube_p/210-0013w.htm

If there is no dissent, I will use these.

Last edited:
dmolavi said:
I wish I could get a "trial sized" test kit that would do 5 or 10 tests, just to kick the tires. I hate buying an entire kit, using it a few times, only to realize I can't stand it. I might query the usual suspects (Salifert, RedSea, SeaChem) to see if they can accommodate such a request.

That being said, I picked up a pair of calipers today (needed them for another project anyway), and got a hair over 11mm ID on the tubes. I will locate the appropriate stoppers and post a note soon.

Edit: I'm thinking of these - http://www.lcmlab.com/12mm_Thumb_Caps_Multi_Color_for_Glass_Test_Tube_p/210-0013w.htm

If there is no dissent, I will use these.

So I'm just wondering if you've got any updates on the stoppers?

If you have a Lowes near you. Go to their hardware section where the drawers of odd hardware are. I believe they sell black rubber stoppers in those drawers.

If you have a Lowes near you. Go to their hardware section where the drawers of odd hardware are. I believe they sell black rubber stoppers in those drawers.

I am going to use PFTE stoppers, as the rubber ones may react with the reagents used by the tests.

I would be interested in purchasing 15-20 from you when this goes through! Absolutely hate the Trate leaking everywhere.

Twoie said:
I would be interested in purchasing 15-20 from you when this goes through! Absolutely hate the Trate leaking everywhere.

Agreed. I think everybody has the same issue. Makes me not trust the accuracy of the test either when all the liquid flys out while shaking it.

Whoa..ok :) I was gonna order 25 and see how many bites I had, but I might do a pack of 100 now :)

I'd do 1000, but what the frack would I do with all the leftovers? (worlds biggest test tube stopper collection..ha :) )

dmolavi said:
Whoa..ok :) I was gonna order 25 and see how many bites I had, but I might do a pack of 100 now :)

I'd do 1000, but what the frack would I do with all the leftovers? (worlds biggest test tube stopper collection..ha :) )

Yea I'd be interested in about 10 of them.

Back
Top Bottom