Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tetras?

I have a quesiton about the social behaviors of Tetras. I have three tetras that were the first fish in my tank. Apparently, rather than being a schooling fish as I expected they seem to pair off. So I have two of the three which have paired off and stay together all the time. The third is a loner.

I'm wondering if it would be wise for me to add a 4th tetra for the loner to pair off with and if I were to add a stranger would that be likely to even happen.

3 Cherry Tetras to start
DavidK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Generally speaking, with tetras, more is better. I have 9 black neon's, and its not oncommon for 5-6 of them to school, but without a threat in my tank they are more offten just hanging out.

I would add 1 to 6 more if you have room, tho there's no guarantee you won't have another loner. Its kind of a crap shoot.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tend to recommend 4 of any given tetra species so they have enough friends to feel secure. they are a schooling fish and while they don't always swim as a tight group, they shouldn't ostracize one fish either.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Before we can advise you, we need to know what tetras do you have? I am not familiar with Cherry tetras and a search gave me cherry barbs and neon tetras Since these are going in a 20 gallon tank, you need to decide if they are going to be the focus of your tank.
Quote:
Apparently, rather than being a schooling fish as I expected they seem to pair off.
Schooling fish will only school when there is danger. When they feel safe, they’re all over the place.
The advice I always heard is tetras are best in odd groups and more often than not, the more the better. What do you see as the final fish list for this tank?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com