The Cheapest and Most Effeciant Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys,

On my 220 gallon tank I currently have a couple big fish and my Bio-load was getting a lot higher. My params were still perfect with my previous filtration but I wanted to upgrade. I looked around on YouTube and found a great idea. Here is a link to the video I watched.
I used method and drilled holes in the bottom of each drawer in a sterilite stacker. I then bought a 25 gallon plastic tub and set the tub in the bin. I added egg crate so that the filter is sitting higher off the water so I can still put the third bin to use. I currently have in this order. White filter floss, thicker blue filter floss, and 2 layers of sponges in drawer one. In drawer two I have bio balls and in drawer 3 I have about 60 pot scrubbers and some DIY shredded plastic media. The only expensive part about this setup is the pump. My pump does 600 GPH but with my current overflow I'm probably getting about 500 out of it. It works great and if anybody is interested I will post pics. In the 25 gallon tub I have my pump and a heater. I plan on adding a bunch of k1 media or some rocks and have it be like a Refugium. For now I have a few extra bio balls that float around.

DIY Filter # 2 for a smaller tank. Here is the link for the other filter I made for my 20 gallon.
it works great but instead off a sponge on mine I used filter floss and cut up plastic straws instead of k1. And again if anybody is interested I will post pics and go more into detail. If you have a spare air pump laying around and don't mind the look of a bottle in your tank this filter worms great.

Back
Top Bottom