The loach's 29 gallon tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm planning on keeping it, but not more than two

chances are, it's the regular ol' pond snail, i would get rid of it cuz they multiply so fast and will take over ur tank in no time. and the trouble of trying to get rid of them is not worth the initial curiosity. i made the same mistake you're probably doing by keeping it earlier on in my fish hobby. the only reason why i want it now is cuz my puffers and loaches love them as snacks

Ok, I'll probably get rid of it, too much bioload
You have a puffer fish in a freshwater tank?

Ok, I'll probably get rid of it, too much bioload
You have a puffer fish in a freshwater tank?

i have the dwarf puffers, you can look it up, the cutest puffers in the world (beside the porcupine puffers). they're true freshwater from the Indian river but will tolerate brackish water if you want them to.

There are freshwater puffers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where do you get them, will they match with my stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Malaysian drift wood, reptile section, got it
Do I have to boil the wood?

you don't have to, but it's recommended that you boil the wood to get rid of some of the tannin. Tannin is not harmful to the fish but it will turn the water into tea color. so for your visual pleasure, it's recommended that you boil it and then rinse it. if you have the patience, after you boil it you can submerse it in aquarium water(for maybe a week or at least a few days) in a different container to get more of the tannin out while stimulating the growth of beneficial bacteria on the wood.

you don't have to, but it's recommended that you boil the wood to get rid of some of the tannin. Tannin is not harmful to the fish but it will turn the water into tea color. so for your visual pleasure, it's recommended that you boil it and then rinse it. if you have the patience, after you boil it you can submerse it in aquarium water(for maybe a week or at least a few days) in a different container to get more of the tannin out while stimulating the growth of beneficial bacteria on the wood.

Ok, I'll boil it and let it sit on some of my aquarium water for three days, thanks

There are freshwater puffers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where do you get them, will they match with my stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i suggest you do some research on these cute puffers. they look adorable but are excellent at fin nipping. plus, they only take snails, frozen food, or live food, no flakes or pellets. i got them from a local fish store that i had to ask for them to special order. but absolutely worth the wait and the effort, they're simply too cute to not to have them if you have the proper requirement. i have them with my paradise fish, german blue rams, bumbleebee gobies, angelfish, african dwarf frog, two clown loaches, and three yo yo loaches. so you can check my stocking versus yours to compare.

Depending on the type, you could find them at Walmart, pet supplies plus, possibly petsmart/petco. If you wanted something more rare you'd have to order online.
They do best in species only tanks though.

As for the driftwood, you should always boil it. But, you could get away with not if you get it from an actual petstore, companies generally cure it before selling it -- but better safe than sorry

Depending on the type, you could find them at Walmart, pet supplies plus, possibly petsmart/petco. If you wanted something more rare you'd have to order online.
They do best in species only tanks though.

As for the driftwood, you should always boil it. But, you could get away with not if you get it from an actual petstore, companies generally cure it before selling it -- but better safe than sorry

Yea, you said it better safe than sorry, I'll boil it

i suggest you do some research on these cute puffers. they look adorable but are excellent at fin nipping. plus, they only take snails, frozen food, or live food, no flakes or pellets. i got them from a local fish store that i had to ask for them to special order. but absolutely worth the wait and the effort, they're simply too cute to not to have them if you have the proper requirement. i have them with my paradise fish, german blue rams, bumbleebee gobies, angelfish, african dwarf frog, two clown loaches, and three yo yo loaches. so you can check my stocking versus yours to compare.

Ok, here is what I'm putting
Angelfish
Neon tetras
Balloon belly mollies
Black kuhlis
German blue ram
Julii Cory's otocinclus
Will they be good with these fish?
Do they need to be in groups
Can you put up some pics of them?

Angelfish
Neon tetras
Balloon belly mollies
Black kuhlis
German blue ram
Julii Cory's otocinclus

i will post a picture for you in three four days, once i get my hands on my gf's DSLR

Angelfish
Neon tetras
Balloon belly mollies
Black kuhlis
German blue ram
Julii Cory's otocinclus

No tetras of any kind, no mollies because they're too slow, angelfish might get nibbed once in a while but not as serious as tetras or mollies. these puffers are perfect tankmate for otos. so far, i haven't seen anything wrong with my rams yet, kuhlis should be fine as well.

they can be in a group, if you have enough space. males tend to get aggressive with other males, but in my tank i have not observe this occurrence. the perfect male to female ratio is 1 male for every 3 females in order to reduce aggression. like i said, i've not had problems with males getting aggressive with each other, which shows the different personality that these puffers all have. you can keep them in a group or just one. i never like the idea of having one fish of the kind, so i have 4.

So, how do you guys think this looks?

Look so nice once the plants start really growing. My only "critique" would be that the Khulis would sure appreciate some sand! Mine are always filtering and playing in it.

Yea, I really wanted to put sand, but gravel is cheaper, I can't put them in my 55 scince I'm turning tat into a saltwater tank, but my uncle is taking them

You could always do pfs. I got some for my tanks and it didn't take that long to wash and itlooks very natural.(I also have khulis and they love to dig in it)

Ok, so I have been really thinking about my stock(again) :hide: and I have been thinking, I selected my first stock for a reason, it's the first stock I fell in love with, so why not?! I'll go with what my mind told me my perfect stock would be
1 angelfish
5 neon tetras
3 guppies
3 julii Cory's
4 black kuhli loaches
2 German blue rams
2 otocinclus
1 bn pleco

Ok, so I have been really thinking about my stock(again) :hide: and I have been thinking, I selected my first stock for a reason, it's the first stock I fell in love with, so why not?! I'll go with what my mind told me my perfect stock would be
1 angelfish
5 neon tetras
3 guppies
3 julii Cory's
4 black kuhli loaches
2 German blue rams
2 otocinclus
1 bn pleco

You know what, Loach. Sometimes getting too many opinions can be confusing. And you have gotten a lot of opinions. Here's my take: yes, for advice and opinions, and be responsible for stocking, maintenance,etc, but essentially, it's your tank. Do what will make you happiest. There's no perfect way. And all of us can only tell you from what we ave learned and our experiences. Even if you follow what one person tells you to the letter, your experience will be different. It's your tank. Go enjoy it...

Thanks, I did get a lot of ideas, and I tried o change it up, but when I got something, oh no, I'm missing some color, or oh no, I'm missing this and that, and after writing down 7 options, I found out that my first stock was the best

it's your tank, thus you get to decide. but i would hold off the rams just for a bit. I have the impression that you've just set up this tank not too long ago. in order for the rams to do well, they need a well established tank. i put two rams into my not-quite-there tank back in the days, the rams didn't last two days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom