The loach's 29 gallon tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So now you want both? I don't understand the question here.

Nono, I am getting the neons first, i just want to set them up in my tank first, and then when I be my cardinals, I'll put my neons in a 55 gallon
For now, I'm asking hw many neon tetras and how many ghost catfish in the tank

Ok, this weekend I'm getting two things, what is the best option
Either x neon tetras, and 3 julii Cory's
Or x neon tetras, and a blue mystery snail
What is the best option, also how many neons?

Ok, so here is my stock
5 neon tetras
5 harlequin rasboras
One female betta
3 julii Cory's
4 black kuhli loaches
8 ghost shrimp
2 bn plecos
How is this
Already have: 4 kuhli loaches
Getting this weekend: 5 neon tetras and julii Cory's
Then next week end: 5 harlequins and ghost shrimp
In 2 weeks: betta and bn plecos
Then maybe a mystery snail

Please skip the plecos, or if you can't live without one in this tank, then get only 1.
You are already going to be very highly stocked (if not over) and BNP's have A LOT of bioload. That and they need a good amount if space, 55 gallons is highly recommended though some people will say that 30 will work.

As for the betta, are you planning on adding only a female, or a male as well? Be careful with either, they can get aggressive towards anything with bright coloring because they sometimes confuse them for other bettas. Females are less aggressive than males, so I suggest only getting a female if you do decide to go that route, but don't be surprised if (s)he gets aggressive or overly stressed by their activity level.

Instead of the BN's maybe add to your Cory school? I've found that they are much more active in groups of 5+. When I first started keeping them I tried to go with only 3, but saw they hid all the time. Figured if I added a few more it might help. Went from 3-5 and it was insane how much things changed on the bottom. Then when I went from 5-7 they got even more active.
People will say cories do fine in small groups, but they are social fish an therefore should have a good size group to socialize with.

Goodluck with your tank.

Man, thanks for all that help!
Ok, I'm not doing the plecos, how are 2 otocinclus instead?
YEs, I'm only going to add one female betta
I already have 4 kuhli loaches, 8 ghost shrimp, are 5 Cory's not too many bottom feeders, or s that ok?

My kuhlis were too active and stressed out my Cory's like no other, your experience may be completely different but I'm just sharing mine with the two of them

Man, thanks for all that help!
Ok, I'm not doing the plecos, how are 2 otocinclus instead?
YEs, I'm only going to add one female betta
I already have 4 kuhli loaches, 8 ghost shrimp, are 5 Cory's not too many bottom feeders, or s that ok?

Oto's are schoolers, so you should do 3 minimum, bu I've had a single in one of my tanks for a year without any issue.
That's a good amount of bottom feeders, but not too many. I have 7 cories 5 kuhlis, and 2ADF in my 28 with no issues.

My kuhlis were too active and stressed out my Cory's like no other, your experience may be completely different but I'm just sharing mine with the two of them

I had 2 corys and two loaches in a 15 one time, they did fine

Ok, my bottom feeders are 3 julii Cory's and 4 kuhli loaches, I want ghost shrimp too, as they are very good at scavenging and cleaning up food, but I guess that's too much

Ok, so I decided to change my stocking a bit, as I think that the fish I have picked are pretty small, so I decided for this change
2 red platys
2 ballon belly mollies
1 dwarf gourami
5 neon tetras
3 julii Cory's
4 kuhli loaches
1 mystery snail
2 otocinclus
5 ghost shrimp
How is this, Aquadvisor says its ok

Does this sound good, I substituted the glowlights and harlequins for ballon belles and platys, how is this?

Ok, so this weekend I am getting a black and a blue mystery snail and my 5 neon tetras, how does that sound?

Ok, I have seen a couple of planted tanks, and I have seen tanks with small fish in it, so this is my FINAL, OK FINAL stock
5 neon tetras
5 glowlight tetras
1 angelfish( i have a back up plan in case of aggression
4 kuhli loaches
3 julii Cory's
5 ghost shrimp
1 German blue ram
2 otocinclus
How is this, I'm getting my angel tomorrow and my ghost shrimp

Ok, I have seen a couple of planted tanks, and I have seen tanks with small fish in it, so this is my FINAL, OK FINAL stock
5 neon tetras
5 glowlight tetras
1 angelfish( i have a back up plan in case of aggression
4 kuhli loaches
3 julii Cory's
5 ghost shrimp
1 German blue ram
2 otocinclus
How is this, I'm getting my angel tomorrow and my ghost shrimp
Well, instead of the ghosts (which IME are lame anyways), I'd add one more city and 2 more oto's. I'd maybe also decrease the group of kuhi's or cut out either the GBR or Angel to add less bioload if you add what I suggested.

Still seems like a lot of bodies for your size tank. And remember, the Oto s do better in a mature tank. I love your enthusiasm tho, best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom