thinking about a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evaunitone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, I'm new here but not new to keeping fish. I have had several kinds of fish and after moving across the country and being settled in for a year I'd like to get another tank. I don't want a big tank, I'm thinking 29 gallons would be ideal. I'm trying to come up with ideas for fish. I'm thinking about an angel or two. Any thoughts? I'm not really sure how one is supposed to prepare the water chemistry for angelfish and how to maintain it for them. Let me know any thoughts and any other ideas.

You could go for a community with some dwarf cichlids.Like some tetras,rasboras,pair of dwarf cichlids,danios....something like that.

AS cool as dwarf cichlids are, I had a small lampologous brevis colony and it turned me off from cichlids lol

Thanks for the advice! but like I said, I'm definitely not new at keeping fish. I am well aware that I'll need to cycle the tank before getting the fish... but I want to get a solid idea of what kind of fish I get so that I can purchase the right aquarium for them. I don't wanna go out and buy a 29 gallon tall or something and then figure out that I need a long tank etc. I'm not actually looking for advice on starting a new tank, I'm looking for ideas for a cool setup / good stock of fish.

well just to throw my input in, im not much on angels, just because EVERYBODY has them. theyre as popular as guppies ( i also have none of those)... if you dont want any cichlids at all, angels are out of the question as well.. if you just dont want aggressive cichlids, some rams would be a cool fish to go with. other thoughts are a nice planted tank with a school of neons, maybe a couple gouramis and some corys of some sort. Just a few of my personal faves

I think south american cichlids would be something I'd consider. I really think rams are beautiful, but I've heard they're hard to keep alive, as far as getting the water chemistry right etc. I'd LOVE to do a planted tank but I'd have to do a lot of research to figure out lighting etc, and I think lighting is pretty expensive. Probably worth while though. Gouramis are another good idea, thanks!

What about Bala's? One of the coolest "sharks" because they are the least aggressive of all. They get to be a good size so it's cool to watch them grow. Throw some other colorfull fish in with them and you've got a sweet tank. Your LFS may label them as semi-aggressive but I have had many over the years and never got an aggressive one. Best in 3's.

Shark-BalaShark-Bala.jpg

What about Bala's? One of the coolest "sharks" because they are the least aggressive of all. They get to be a good size so it's cool to watch them grow. Throw some other colorfull fish in with them and you've got a sweet tank. Your LFS may label them as semi-aggressive but I have had many over the years and never got an aggressive one. Best in 3's.

Falcon, don't Balas get way too big for a 29 gallon? Unless you plan on getting a much bigger tank in the future.

lol yeah, I probably won't be getting any bala sharks. I'm into the idea of rams or apistogrammas but I have to do more research. It sounds like they really will need / want a planted tank, which I'm considering. I'm considering shrimp too but I'll start another post for that topic.

I would go with a community of small and colorful tetras. Mix in some live plants.

they get way over a foot... they need at least a 6' tank, and even then they'll be cramped

Bah, That takes a long time and he will have a bigger tank by then. lol
:cool:

Although I have never been able to get one that big. The largest I ever had was about 7 inches.

I think the SA dwarf cichlids with the community will be a good idea :) I assume the plants in the water will lower the pH to a range that is acceptable to those SA cichlids. (?)

Yay! I'm excited. I've always wanted those fish but never thought I could manage their care requirements. However I'm going to begin the planted tank process after Christmas and then I'll get the fish within a couple months. Thanks for the suggestions!

Actually I have another question. What do you think would go better with that kind of cichlid, small schooling fish like tetras or something, or a small school of cories? I've had cories before and really liked them.

With the cockatoos and bolivians I would go for cories,raspboras,small tetras,gourami or rainbowand/or a shoal of hatchets.

Back
Top Bottom