This is so WRONG!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
i went to the lfs today and apparently there's a demand for painted glassfish. so after glofish, painted fruit tetras, and now this. poor things.

ForumRunner_20130622_174938.jpg

That's awful to see :( there's just no need to do this to the fish. One thing I like about my lfs is you never see fish like that as they're against it.

Its not fair and as for most fish keepers its usually about a natural look. People wouldnt paint their dogs so why do it to fish. I wonder how much this reduces the length and quality of there lives

Its not fair and as for most fish keepers its usually about a natural look. People wouldnt paint their dogs so why do it to fish. I wonder how much this reduces the length and quality of there lives

Ooooh just wait.

image-3607025537.jpg

We can't leave nature alone.

Attachments

• image-2426039948.jpg
    image-2426039948.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 122
I guess you guys haven't seeing the tattooed pigs in Romanian. Some people got to much time and others not enough sense to think right

Wow odd timing. I was just in a discussion on FB about tattooed fish. A lady posted about her fish with stars & hearts on it. She said she had no idea how they did that..... Um sorry but how the hell do you think they did that?! Then another person posted that he didn't support dyeing fish but bought them to rescue them. My reply "That's the same reason puppy mills exist. If you're buying them you're supporting them. Your intentions don't matter. Perpetuating the problem is all you're doing"

Ok I've never seen the pigs before so I just googled it & that's pathetic! They also show another guy that had his sphinx cat tattooed to match his. Every day something else happens just to confirm that humans suck. So sad

i went to the lfs today and apparently there's a demand for painted glassfish. so after glofish, painted fruit tetras, and now this. poor things.

View attachment 182019

Yeah, I saw some of those last year too. Along with some of those tatooed mollies and platys :facepalm:

As for the ethics of glofish, since it is genetic modification that takes place and not dying, it actually is much less harmful to the fish - I honestly doubt that it affects the lifespan of the fish at all. The bigger issue IMO is the commercial nature of it - increasing the price of a $1 fish to $5, having these $30 2 gallon "glofish tanks" which aren't even suitable homes for them, etc. etc.

All I know from the tattooed fish is that they actually use a tattoo machine. I think I saw it on a national geographic show.

Agreed!! That's just wrong! I had to explain to my 11 year old daughter why something she thought was so cool was wrong. And once she knew how the neon glow fish got their color, she was sad.

Glass catfish wouldnt even be classed as a starter fish. So marketing them like that basically for kids really is a receipe for a lot of dead fish

Agreed!! That's just wrong! I had to explain to my 11 year old daughter why something she thought was so cool was wrong. And once she knew how the neon glow fish got their color, she was sad.

As stated earlier, if you are thinking they are dyed, they aren't. A jellyfish gene is injected into the egg at birth, giving them the "glo" effect. Also as previously stated, I do not take as much issue with the modification as the commercial nature its taken on. For example, patenting the glofish, making it illegal to sell its offspring, etc. etc.

Atleast that dog looks like an arcanine lol.

Arcanine I choose you !

Anyway, that's sick. Glass fish are my favorite fish and I hate seeing them like that. There great fish and totally unique on there on. I mean there freaking see through, why would you want to add color on those !?! Even though there not dyed, I still think its pathictic to mess with nature like that. The only thing worse is the tattooed fish

Arcanine I choose you !

Anyway, that's sick. Glass fish are my favorite fish and I hate seeing them like that. There great fish and totally unique on there on. I mean there freaking see through, why would you want to add color on those !?! Even though there not dyed, I still think its pathictic to mess with nature like that. The only thing worse is the tattooed fish

Painted Glass fish ARE dyed. It's just the glofish (glo-zebra danios, glo-tiger barbs, etc.) that are only genetically modified. The dying and genetic modification IMO is just to catch the eye of people who don't know much about the whole thing. They see them and say "ooh, those are colorful," and buy some. Because hey, if you don't know what actually goes on, they DO look kinda cool. The process that goes on to make them look that way, however, downs the "cool factor" quite a bit.

Painted Glass fish ARE dyed. It's just the glofish (glo-zebra danios, glo-tiger barbs, etc.) that are only genetically modified. The dying and genetic modification IMO is just to catch the eye of people who don't know much about the whole thing. They see them and say "ooh, those are colorful," and buy some. Because hey, if you don't know what actually goes on, they DO look kinda cool. The process that goes on to make them look that way, however, downs the "cool factor" quite a bit.
Wow, I thought it was like the glow fish. I saw a post on parrot fish like this the other day. It's really sad

Back
Top Bottom