This is why Plecos NEED a BIG BIG BIG tank.....come look..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a big 15" guy in my 25 gallon tank a few years ago.

I had to get rid of the guy, since everytime he moved hed uproot half the plants in my tank. I was sad to see him go. Hopefully the guys at the petstore gave him a good home.

i had the same thing happen

i ended up with a foot and half pleco named u-boat he was agresive he would attack anything that moved including yer hand on water change day i had to give him away to a place with big tanks some repile farm outside ottawa pitty tho now i have a new female pleco whom apparenyl are more friendly or seem to be :)

The_Real_Crunk said:
I had a big 15" guy in my 25 gallon tank a few years ago.

I had to get rid of the guy, since everytime he moved hed uproot half the plants in my tank. I was sad to see him go. Hopefully the guys at the petstore gave him a good home.

Just WOW... :(

If anybody lives near london ontario you have to go check out the plecos in the koi pond at Big Als there. The biggest one in there is an easy 2.5 footer. Crazy big. The koi pond is like a low to the ground fishtank, pretty cool. heres a pic of the pond(kindof) http://www.bigalscanada.com/images/storelocationimgs/london/london/4lg.jpg

I love pecos, i just bought my first one, a clown pleco. I love it, although it is very shy...

WaterPond said:
I love pecos, i just bought my first one, a clown pleco. I love it, although it is very shy...

So is mine. He hides either under my moss driftwood or under the filter intake (has a big sponge on it). Rarely ever see Augustus (the Clown Pleco) come out from under there.

I'm thinking once I move Augustus to a larger tank and have some moonlights I may get to see him more.

Just Holly COW!!!! I thought a big sutrgeon was a monster fish but catching pleco large enough for a meal would be a shock!

still not as big as the " jumbo " plecos my LFS has been trying to sell for 90 a piece, the ones they have alot longer tail but about the same size body and there a real pale tannish color, I love plecos, but they scare the crap outta me lol the LFS said a 75 gallon tank was suitable for a fish that size

The one in the pic looks like it found its way into a North American lake. I'm guessing Florida because we have a lot of them. The guys in the pic probably didn't kill it even though it is a nuisance just like the pythons in the Everglades as well as the apple snails that live throughout lakes in FL. I would have sold it to a pet store :mrgreen: .

They are definately not good for FL's ecosystem because they are extremely good at eating algae, which is not good native fish because that is what they eat during cold snaps. They also eat native fishes' eggs, thus reducing the population of native fish. Very much a nuisance.

Some plecs do indeed grow very large, such as the Adonis plec Acanthicus adonis:

Black-Adonis-Pleco.jpg

plecos are one of the most destructive fish to let loose in native waterways!! they do clean up dead fish etc, but they ruin and shred native plant species which can ruin habitats for smaller (or baby) native species. sorry to be a tree hugger here but i've seen what invasive species can do and i just want to emphasise the importance of selling your fish that get too large or trading them in to the lfs .. don't let them go in local waters! (they are beautiful fish tho imo)

About 10 years ago I sold off all my fish and tanks except my 110 and it had my last fish, a 18 inch Pleco named Bob The Pleco that had lived in a number of my tanks off and on for about 5 years. After about 7 inches he was not much use for algae, he could get kinda cranky at times and chase anything in the tank. I just fed him cucumbers and frozen peas and kept him with a couple big Oscars. We had to drain all the water from the tank to catch him and then fight him into a big rubbermaid container. I loaded him in my truck and took him to a friend who was going to put him in his 200 gallon tank. My friend left him in the big rubbermaid tub to acclimate him but at one point Bob the Pleco knocked the lid off and flopped himself out and onto the floor. My buddy came in a few hours later and pronounced Bob The Pleco DRT (dead right there). It was a sad day and a bad ending for Bob.

i just take my plecos to my moms pond... she has so much weed and stuff in it, that it is a nice change... plus its pleco heaven LOL its over an acre in diameter... so around 10k or so gallons LOL

Back
Top Bottom