This just cracked me up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm at PetSmart the other day and there's a woman with her husband and kid shopping for fish. She's looking at the cichlids and talking to her husband and she keeps calling them "chitlins"! I've heard "cichlids" mispronounced before, but that one just got me! Chitlins!

Lol and knowing Petsmart, they probably said, "you can put it in a 10g with a betta and 5 mollies with no problem."

So I'm at PetSmart the other day and there's a woman with her husband and kid shopping for fish. She's looking at the cichlids and talking to her husband and she keeps calling them "chitlins"! I've heard "cichlids" mispronounced before, but that one just got me! Chitlins!

Hahaha FISH FAIL

Hahahahahaha their employes stink

Well, they don't all stink. My kid works there and he actually gives a crap. The gal who runs the department actually has a degree in marine biology - but I realize that's not typical at PetSmart. You wouldn't believe some of the stories he brings home, though! For all the employees that tell you you can cram a tank full of fish, there are far more customers who want to do that and get seriously offended when they're told otherwise.

I believe it. Im currently in an argument with my boss about this. He was keeping a goldfish in a half gallon vase and only changing the water once a week. I couldnt convince him that that was WAY too small. I even offered to BUY him a 10g tank and filter and he refused.
He finally gave in (sorta) and purchased a 2.5 gallon tank/filter/light combo thing. I was going to let it go since that was better than the vase, but then he bought another goldfish to go in there with it.... so now we are arguing again :rolleyes:

Well, they don't all stink. My kid works there and he actually gives a crap. The gal who runs the department actually has a degree in marine biology - but I realize that's not typical at PetSmart. You wouldn't believe some of the stories he brings home, though! For all the employees that tell you you can cram a tank full of fish, there are far more customers who want to do that and get seriously offended when they're told otherwise.

Mine is also pretty good, but I live an area where it seems everyone has a fish tank. (south florida) They have to be good, their customers are mostly knowledgeable. I also have two test store Petco's that have a huge selection of aquarium supplies and fish.

I have heard on numerous occasions the employees at both stores tell people if they buy fish with a tank today they will die. One actually referred someone to this site, that is why I joined AA.

Don't cut all the big box stores short.

My son tells me that they do have rules they have to follow, for example, they can't sell you a goldfish and a bowl. The minimum is a ten gallon tank, although they know twenty is more appropriate. But corporate has to strike a balance or they don't sell anything. I get it, I have a business myself. What many people don't realize is that the people who work there aren't confined to a specific area. The guy working the fish wall has to also work the entire rest of the store. They're expected to be expert on everything from cat treats to dog collars to corn snakes. All for about 8 bucks an hour. Part time. They're just trying to earn a living like everyone else.

I mean yeah, we all understand that the corporation has to make money, but you should hear and see some of the things I do in Maryland. Haha, It makes you want to cringe!

Oh and plus, who cares how big of an area they have to work, their job is their job, so Petsmart as a corporation should hire people to work the fish area that actually understand the hobby. But again, maybe that's just my particular store. :)

Lol and knowing Petsmart, they probably said, "you can put it in a 10g with a betta and 5 mollies with no problem."

I actually got some yellow labs last night and when I got them and said I wanted Dalmatian mollies as well (hubby liked them so I got them lol) she said you do you know these guys (meaning the yellow labs) wont co exist with mollies and they will get eaten right? I said yes ma'am their going in separate tanks, don't worry I've been at this for a while! When she went to get the mollies she actually asked if there was a certain sex I preferred (since I got 2) and she actually knew the difference between lyretail and normal Dalmatian mollies. When hubby and I left I was telling him how surprised I was she actually warned me about the yellow labs and mollies and asked about the sex of them.

Edited: But their have also been times where I've been in the same store and just looking I've overheard employees telling people goldfish will be fine in a 10g with tetras or other tropical fish too... So yeah. Definitely hit and miss for sure.

I also have two test store Petco's that have a huge selection of aquarium supplies and fish.

what's the difference between a regular petco and a "test store petco"? and locations? I'm in sfl as well and would like to check em out. thanks.

what's the difference between a regular petco and a "test store petco"? and locations? I'm in sfl as well and would like to check em out. thanks.

Wellington and Boca have a MUCH larger footprint, Petco's are usually small the one in Wellington has all kinds of aquarium furniture and set ups that no other corp or local fish stores have.

When I asked one of their DM's about it he said that Wellington and Boca were built as test stores and they are two to four times the size of other stores. He also said the Wellington store sells about 10 to 15 - 55 gallon aquariums a week. They recently added a nice saltwater section to the store because of the demand.

Oh and plus, who cares how big of an area they have to work, their job is their job, so Petsmart as a corporation should hire people to work the fish area that actually understand the hobby. But again, maybe that's just my particular store. :)

That assumes that there are lots of fish savvy people who want to work at PetSmart. And they'd STILL have to work the entire store and probably be criticized for not being an expert in all of those areas, too. It makes more sense to address those policies with the company instead of faulting employees who can only do what the company allows even if they personally disagree.

Back
Top Bottom