This this tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yhbae

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I have a mature tank already, cycled months ago and I seeded the 10g tank from the mature tank to kickstart the cycling process.

I have some java moss in this tank - it fills almost 50% of the tank in volume (to let fries survive), and I also have a sponge filter and Aqua Clear Mini (with 2 sponge media). This tank was initially used to grow platy fries, but now I am using it as a breeder tank.

The original fries were there over 7 weeks ago, and about a month ago, they were removed, and replaced with adult platies, starting initially 1, gradually increased to 4 now. There's also 2 otos residing in this tank as brown algae is present all the time.

I just checked the water parameter for the first time in about 3 weeks and here's the reading:

- Ammonia = 0
- Nitrite = 0
- Nitrate = 0

Hmm... Now I am getting a little nervous - did java moss suck up ALL of the above before the bacteria even got a chance to colonize? Do I have any bacteria in this tank? :D

I could have been running this tank for months without any problems just because I have enough java moss to absorb everything!

Does anyone have any opinion on what could be happening?

Honestly, if you have this type of water parameters you shouldn't worry, since your filter media have bacteria colonized, your gravel bed, rocks and any decorations that are coarse. I suggest for you to slowly add the desired fish one by one in order for your tanks bio load to get accustom to the new addition.

Its quite likely the java moss is sucking up the extra nitrogenous waste. Not a bad thing tho :)

As for your nitrifying bacterial colonies, the gist is to keep ammonia/nitrites/nitrates at a healthy level for the fish. Even if the colonized bacteria levels are a bit low (and I'll guarantee there are SOME in there), the java moss is keeping things in check. I would be careful however, if you decide to pull all the java moss; it will take a lil bit for the bacteria to catch up with the now available levels of nitrogenous waste.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I don't see why I would pull out the java moss anytime soon since that is essential in this tank to function as a breeder tank for platies. It will only get "worse" since I was going to let it grow much more! (Until it forms a dense bottom 2/3 layer of the whole tank) :mrgreen:

Just checked the water parameter for my community tank and it too has settled at zero/zero/zero! (Nitrate level used to hover just under 5ppm for a while...) Hmm... that's weird since I don't have THAT much plants in the tank - mostly java moss and java fern. (Allivy, this is the tank that I treated ich with your help recently!). There's quite a few fishes to the point where I think I am close to overstocking it, but zero nitrates. All this on a 25g tank with only 20w of lights... :mrgreen:

Do plants like ammonia and nitrite as much as they like nitrates?

Back
Top Bottom