Thoughts on my 13 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leighgonch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have made my self a 13 gallon acrylic tank

image-1687992566.jpg

I am planning to stick it with:-

1x sterbai cory
1x pepper cory
1x bronze cory

2 x African dwarf frogs

1 x betta male/female

Can anyone see any possible problems with this combination?

I'm currently doing a fishless cycle with ammonia so I've got a few weeks to weigh up my options.

Regards
Leigh

I have made my self a 13 gallon acrylic tank

I am planning to stick it with:-

1x sterbai cory
1x pepper cory
1x bronze cory

2 x African dwarf frogs

1 x betta male/female

Can anyone see any possible problems with this combination?

I'm currently doing a fishless cycle with ammonia so I've got a few weeks to weigh up my options.

Regards
Leigh

Yeah. I see a few problems.
A* because of the tanks small footprint I don't think Cories would be suitable, especially since all those Cories are larger varieties. You might be able to do 3 Pygmy Cories
B* African dwarf frogs need a sort of a shallow tank. I would rethink them just to be sure.
C* I don't k ow if you want a male and female betta but if you did they can't live long term together due to aggressiveness.
To be on the safe side I would research the African dwarf frogs.

Yeah. I see a few problems.
A* because of the tanks small footprint I don't think Cories would be suitable, especially since all those Cories are larger varieties. You might be able to do 3 Pygmy Cories
B* African dwarf frogs need a sort of a shallow tank. I would rethink them just to be sure.
C* I don't k ow if you want a male and female betta but if you did they can't live long term together due to aggressiveness.
To be on the safe side I would research the African dwarf frogs.

Agree on all points.

From the pic it looks like a very small footprint so you may have some choices available in nano fish but, post the dimensions of the tank and folks may be able to come up with a better stocking plan.

Personally I wouldn't put a Betta in the tank. Bettas prefer longer rather than taller tanks, they need to be able to get to the surface easily for air, plus longer swimming space. I don't know the dimensions of your tank but it looks rather tall & thin which means air breathing inhabitants may have a bit of a struggle. My concern is fish being able to easily escape & hide, while your tank is quite nice it doesn't, IMO, give fish much space.

I made this 13 gallon/50 litre acrylic tank as a bit of a diy tank practice project it's 30cm x 30cm x 60cm (12" x 12" x 23") tall external and the acrylic is 10 mm thick

I made this 13 gallon/50 litre acrylic tank as a bit of a diy tank practice project it's 30cm x 30cm x 60cm (12" x 12" x 23") tall external and the acrylic is 10 mm thick

With those dimensions you could not have any large cories and imho would be pushing it with small cories as they are very active. The betta may be ok though it may only hang out at the top. The ADFs should do fine but may limit options.

We have put a shelf half way up the tank to aid the ADF's to get air as we have read this would help

Back
Top Bottom