Tiny White Bugs in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njweiss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found a bunch of tiny white bugs in my tank, they are so crazy small that i cant even get a picture of them, but they are on the glass and the driftwood. Any idea what they are? should i move my fish or treat the tank or what?

Thanks for any help!!

ok i got a pic!!
390848_10150452249706488_594706487_10940235_900945339_n.jpg

no they arent worms, they look like grains of sand or something, you wouldnt know they were bugs unless you stare at them and see them move, i was looking at our baby snails that hatched lastnight and i noticed the bug things... i hvae no clue what they are

they look and sound like water fleas, or daphnia. they thrive on excess waste/uneaten food and make a very nice snack for small fish and fry. u can buy them from shops they are so nutritious, so to have them pop up can be a stroke of luck if uv got a batch of babies growing up!

what fish do u have? x

in that tank i have a peacock bass, a jd a mag and a catfish... i have fry in another tank and another tank with mollies and platys but the white things are in the big tank with the big fish so they arent even eating them

the big ones wouldnt bother.

i left mine when i got them years ago, they died out over time. but the tank was quite cold, so they didnt breed much.

we did a big clean of the tank today so i hope that got rid of them....

I just found the same little bugs in my tank. I am testing a 14 day feeder before I leave on vacation. I put it in last night and today found all the little bugs. I am assuming that the feeder is the cause. Should I tank the feeder out? Should I take the fish out?

No, the fish don't need to come out. These are harmless and are actually a food source for some fish. 14 days is too long for the fish to go unfed. If you can have someone come over and feed, that would be best. If not, I think testing out the feeder beforehand is the best bet. The feeder couldn't cause the bugs to appear. It could help them reproduce quicker by overfeeding, but it did not introduce them.

Back
Top Bottom