To Carbon or not to carbon..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duganie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!
Steph and Chris here,
We have been using Matrix and floss for our filter. Every fish store we go to suggests to us to use carbon or some sort in the filter, but a friend of ours does not use it.
Also, the floss keeps separating and losing pieces in our 29 gallon tank.
We have 3 plattys , 2 mollys, and 2 plecos (everyone lives in harmony).
Any suggestions about the need for carbon or the floss situation? Thank you!!

Only use carbon if there is a specific need. Removing water colouration (tannins), removing smells, removing medication. If you don't need it, don't use it.

It won't do any harm, but its expensive and needs replacing every 2 to 4 weeks. Save yourself the expense.

Thank you Aiken Drum.
Another question:
If we used quick start in our aquarium does that mean it is already cycled?
Also, you were very helpful to someone else on this thread with there water levels, we have high ammonia but 0 nitrites and nitrates...suggestions on this 29 gallon with 5 fish plus 2 clown plecos as far as water levels?

Biological boosters like quickstart are hit and miss. At best they speed up your cycle at worst they do nothing. If not kept and transported in temperature controlled conditions the bacteria can die off. The best way to speed up your cycle is to introduce some filter media from an established set up into your filter. Perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish?

If you are seeing ammonia on your water test and not getting any nitrites or nitrates, it doesnt look like your cycle has started at all. When you say high, what is your ammonia level? Essentially you should now be doing what is called a fish in cycle. Put in your quickstart if you havent already done so. Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate daily. If you see any ammonia or nitrite in your test, do 25% water change. When you are consistently seeing 0ppm ammonia and nitrite and your nitrates are rising, your aquarium is cycled sufficiently for the fish you have and you can add some more.

Thank you.
Ammonia is high but I've been feeding every day...may I can cut back?
Ammonia is present but not dangerously high (1 ppm)?
I have been told to not feed the fish for a few days to see of ammonia drops..we've only been adding bacteria.
We also had to do an kick ick treatment(which helped ALL the fish and they all survived and are looking so great).
Tomorrow is the last day. Could this affect the water levels? Anyway...respond when you can. No rush, but you are very helpful and kind!

I would say 1ppm ammonia is too high. It will affect the long term health of your fish at those levels. I would be looking to do 50% water change, followed up by another 50% tomorrow. Then proceed with your daily testing and water changes as needed to keep your ammonia and nitrite down until you are cycled.

Kick-ich says it doesnt effect nitrifying bacteria, so it shouldn't have any adverse effect on your cycle, but, to be sure, i would redose with some more bacteria when your medication has run its course and is removed from the system (the water changes and some carbon in the filter will get rid of the meds).

Its usual to lightly feed, or only feed every other day while doing a fish in cycle. Given your high ammonia i would cut back on the feeding.

Back
Top Bottom