to snail or not to snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollipops

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got more java moss from my LFS yesterday and found several tiny brown-shelled snails. Uh oh... I mean, I wash my plants first, and I plucked off the snails. I'm notoriously impatient :facepalm: (aquarium keeping is helping me learn :banghead:) so of course I put the plants in my unoccupied 10 gallon anyway... I'm thinking of putting sunburst platies in there :)

but should I be worried?

Snails are good for aquarium's, very good cleaners. If you don't overfeed, they won't take over. I used to hate them, now have 7-8 different kinds/colors (mystery's and Mts are my favorite).

Snails are wonderful. I love mystery snails in a peaceful aquarium without nippy fish, because you get to see those beautiful, long waving feelers as they forage. They come in lovely colors, as do ramshorn snails. Even plain pond snails are pretty in their own right. If you do find yourself overrun, (easier to do than you'd think; MTS, pond, and ramshorn all breed like crazy) throw in a couple of assassin snails to help keep the population in check. They're easy to sex, and do not breed asexually like their counterparts. Should help you level out the population quite easily.

Back
Top Bottom