Tricks to removing/Preventing Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay . . . so I really started this because we currently have diatoms in our tank. So what is everyone else's secret? Is there a chemical that kills it? A fish that eats it? What?

I would love to know what everyone does to combat that evil "brown algae".

otto's are everyones secret weapon but I think you might be just having new tank issues.. I would clean them off and see if the plants cant take care of it..

I have 3 otocinclus and a bristlenose plecostomus. I have not a speck of algae in my tank. Do be aware though, you have to supplement these guys with veggies or algae wafers when there is no algae left for them to eat in your tank.

an otto, more water changes, and a sponge to clean the glass. (at least diatoms wipe away pretty easy). I get that green spot algae that needs to be scraped.)

Yeah, our common pleco seems to ignore the diatoms all together. Guess we should try an otto and see what happens. Thanks!

yeah, otto's are definetly my secret weapon for the diatoms...but since we're on algae and such, how do you get rid of the green algae thats extremely hard to get off and otto's wont eat it....(i dont know the name of it)

are you talking about the green algea that forms little green spots on the glass. I always call it green spot algae and the only way I can get rid of it is scrapping. Though I do wonder what causes it cause I never had it on any of my other tanks. I think it might be because this tank is in a room with a solartube in the ceiling so there is more light. Could that be it?

It depends on if you have a planted tank as to how to get rid of the different types of algae.. If you dont have any plants then you probably have too much light or too many phosphates in the water.. If you have plants then you probably dont have the correct nutrient levels, enough plants, or the right amount of light.. in other words if you keep things in balance you shouldnt get a algae problem.. :mrgreen:

yeah thats the algae i am talking about....once i get my 10 cycled, i plan on loading it with some nice java fern and the mini sword plants to keep the algae down a bit

You also might want to get a mag float, its a magnetic tool that is on both sides of the glass so you can move it over the glass and clean the inside without getting wet.

No.. I read his page and liked it.. I really think the link fits into the posts better than the actuall advise so.. I like the advise so Im spreading it around!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Okay so the otocincluses died. I have no idea why, but we didn't QT them. I never saw them munch on the diatoms at all though, so I am afraid they just didn't eat. All the water parameters are correct. I guess it's possible they just weren't healthy.
I found a link on them http://www.otocinclus.com/
Hopefully this will help and I'll try again later. They are definately a cute little fish. :mrgreen:
My girlfriend is sad for them though. :(

otto's are a bit particular about there water quality.. how much NO3 do you maintain in your tank.. You might need better filtration as well... :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom