Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Viperboy
Tried feeding Veggies

So today I also tried feeding my fish some peas and a piece of cucumber ... well they didnt really go for either like i wanted cause my zebras seemed bloated and i was hoping peas would help it .... am i doing something wrong? any tips? i peeled the peas and cut em up real small after i boiled em ... TIA

Ray

Old 06-01-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I squish the peas between my fingers. I actually do it in the tank. It seems to sttract attention.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Same here, just squish them. And you don't need to boil them, just blanch them. Let them sit in boiled water for 15 seconds and you are ready. Also helps if you haven't fed them for a little while, or feed very lightly in the morning, and do peas in the evening, before the main coarse.

Try some zucchini also. When doing cucumbers and zucchini, might take a couple days before they notice it's food, and good food, lol. I generally leave mine in a whole 24 hours. Then if it gets too mushy, replace it. Within a couple days, you will start seeing them eat it.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you want to see a feeding frenzy, try feeding garden fresh spinnach. I feed it every couple days now that the garden is ready. I pick a few leaves....one for me, remove as much stem from the base of the leaf as possible. Put in a pyrex cup with an ounce of H2O, 4 minutes in the nuker..... Cool the hot leaves and feed as you would anything else...based on little or no waste. We have a tank of guppy fry 1/4-3/4" They devour it.

When I feed Zukes...I peel the skin, slice them thin like cheese, nuke 'em for 45 sec. They are easier to eat, but takew a while...yes a day sometimes.

I learned a lesson on feeding peas.....fry fish can get stuck in the pea pod if you don't squish all the filling out. Funniest thing in the world to watch a pea pod darting around the tank with a tiny sticking out the back. Had to resuce the little platy. Now I keep the pod out of the fry tank.

Dave

Tags
egg, feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com