True SAE's available!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChileRelleno

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my LFS's has one inch (1") juvenile SAE's for sale :D
I've had this FW algae lawnmower on their stock wish list for quite awhile to no avail, I come home after two months on the road and there the little beauties are. They're fat, happy, healthy and very very active, their already demolishing the algae in one of my Betta tanks 8)

Happy happy joy joy!

For those who are not familiar with this fish...
They can be a bear to find without spending a small fortune to order'em online, they are often mis-identified with some look alike fish (Even in/by some well regarded fish books/experts 8O .) and last but not least are the true kings of algae eaters. They eat more types of algae ( and alot of it), don't harm plants and are 100% docile community fish. They can however grow to a average five and a half inches (5.5") and prefer to be in a small shoal (3+ fish) which can limit them to med/lrg tanks.

For smaller tanks or for those who don't want a shoal of medium sized fish I highly suggest Otocinclus, Oto's are just as ravenous towards algae, eat many types of algae, 100% docile, don't harm live plants*, do best in shoals (5+ fish) but only average a inch plus (1"+). They are however are very picky about water parameters/quality, initial acclimation to a new tank and best with atleast a few live plants.
*They seem to thrive better with live plants, JMHO.

when i had mine they always nipped eachother.. no damager was done, so i think they were just playing.

ChileRelleno said:
For smaller tanks or for those who don't want a shoal of medium sized fish I highly suggest Otocinclus, Oto's are just as ravenous towards algae, eat many types of algae, 100% docile, don't harm live plants*, do best in shoals (5+ fish) but only average a inch plus (1"+). They are however are very picky about water parameters/quality, initial acclimation to a new tank and best with atleast a few live plants.
*They seem to thrive better with live plants, JMHO.

I wish I could find otos anywhere, I've been looking for months. Even an online site might do at this point because I know I'm not having any luck locally. Anyone see them on Aquabid, tell me!

Back
Top Bottom