Trying to Getting Rid of Flies!! Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrantRyanL

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I break any rules, but I have a question about getting rid of flies in my aquarium. I have a 20 gallon tank for a red-eared slider that I really only fill about half way. I have about a 2 month-old Fluval filter, that is completely submerged.

There seems to be a never ending population of flies in my tank. They are very small, and basically black. Every day I kill upwards of 20 of them and then the following day just as many are back in the tank! On the tank walls, a few outside the tank, some flying around the room, and they are really starting to annoy me.

Just last week I completely cleaned the tank & the filter very thoroughly; hoping to get rid of them. But the next day they were back again. And these flies used to come around occasionally with the filter I had before (which had to be replaced), but I can't remember them being this rampant. I used to be able to just clean the tank and filter and be fly-free for at least a month.

Has anyone had similar problems? Or know of any way to get rid of the flies?

Thank you!

what kind of flies? little black ones that are small?

I had em when I had reptiles and herps, I got rid of them and the flies went with.

The flies are small and narrow. Maybe about 3/4 of a millimeter in width and 1.5 millimeters in length. They look black from far away, but close up, you might be able to say that they are clear-ish.

Does that help?

Fruit flies usually only stick around when there is something to eat. So if it is indeed something about your tank that they are sticking around for then i would do water changes (maybe foul water is attracting them) and completely wipe down the aquarium. Even the lid were the lights are on.

Set out a glass with a little apple cider vinegar. They'll fly into it and drown. Other liquids work too.

Back
Top Bottom