upgraading dt to a 55!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huma-huma

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so I bought a 55 tall about 5 or 6 months ago.. (was on sale for 55 bucks) I haven't put a single gallon of water in it yet as because I refuse to buy a stand for it..well within the next 2 weeks i am going to finally buils a stand for it..now what im gonna do is simply buy some new fish to place in the 55 along with some vets from my currenr 20 g..my queation is, if i throw a few flakes in it, can i simply save the water i take out of my 20 when i do a pwc?? This in my mind would help me to almost completely bypass the cycling stags...please give ne some input to tell me if this wiuld work..oh and my rena hob filter will be transporting to the 55 until i get a fluval 405

The water from the 20 won't help, the necessary bacteria live in the filter media and pretty much on every surface inside the tank. You can use some of the filter media from the rena hob to seed the new tank, but it will still take some time for the bacteria to become established well enough to support more fish. You could simply move the fish and the rena over to the 55, and run the fluval for several weeks too, then move the rena back to the 20 along with whatever fish you don't want to leave in the 55.

thank you for the help:) that's what im gonna do..ill just simply run my rena on the 55 and attempt to dial back the fluval a bit..that way the seeded rena will be pumping out the most possible water. glad I decided to ask first because I was thinking the water along with the rena filter would've cut out the cycle

Back
Top Bottom