Upgrading my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found someone on a local forum who is selling a used 55g tank for 50 bucks. It is just the tank, no stand or hood or anything so I will still have to buy that stuff seperately but the price is great even for just the tank. It was once used as a breeder growout tank but he no longer needs it. Right now we are in the middle of working out the details for me to pick it up. This will be replacing my current 20g (not adding too; I don't have the room lol). Hopefully over the next couple of months I can collect all the other necessary equipment. I'm checking places like Craigslist to find a used stand, etc. I'm so excited!

If you're comfortable with power tools, and don't mind trying to do a DIY stand you can end up with great results (as good as in the store) for a lot less money. I wouldn't imagine building a stand for a 55g costing more than $50-60.

Congrats on your pickup :)

I would have to say yes it would be sturdy enough to hold it since it is metal and all but I dunno about the dimensions of your 20g. that is the only thing I'd check out first.

Do you have a 20g Tall or Long?

The long might fit, but the tall looks like it would hit the bottom of the other tank. That's just judging by the picture with the tanks in it.

I'd just go to the store and measure the stand to see if the tank will fit.

Another concern is that a taller tank (than the 10's) will be VERY diffcult to access for cleaning, rearranging or maintenance.

I've been looking for a 2 tank stand myself (QT and maybe a breeder or grow-out tank). When I was a kid, we had one that was offset - the bottom tank was about 6-10" forward of the top tank. I would love to find something like that again.

Unfortunately my 20 gallon is a tall so it may not work. I am going to measure it anyway to make sure. If I have to switch out the tanks it's not that big a deal because that was my original plan anyway. I can always put the 20 in storage until I have more room.

Back
Top Bottom