Upgrading to a bigger aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdrop7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Friends :D
I'm planning to upgrade from a 29 gallon tank to a 55 or 60 gallon tank for my 9 goldfish rescued from a small pond last November. They seem in great shape (amazingly for a beginner) but it really is too SMALL now as they have really grown.
Actually I've gratefully learned everything from this site but need some more advice now:
1. Looking for a nice looking sturdy stand (light wood). I'm not crazy about the heavy looking canopies. Have read very mixed reviews online.
2. I have one Aquaclear filter (very nice) but surely will need a second one?
3. need to add substrate that will be good for both live plants (found one they don't eat)! and silk plants. Which kind is good and how much more? I'm thrilled that I got this far without any deaths and will be most grateful for any advice. :D

1. I'm no help here. Buy something you like or build one yourself.
2. It depends on which AC you've got. For goldfish in a 55g, I'd probably run two AC70s.
3. I'll second the PFS. I've got sand in all three of my tanks and I won't go back to gravel unless I have to.

I have an Aqua Clear 100 or 125 on my 75 gallon and it does a pretty good job. The more water through the filter the better IMO (to a certain point, I don't think you want it moving so much your gravel is getting sucked around lol). I had aquarium gravel that I bought at a LFS, it was the same brand as the gravel they sell at Petsmart, and I hated it. When I get back to Ga I am going to redo my 75g with PFS. If I were home I would sell you my AC filter because I am going to build a refugium for my tank. If you have any patients at all I would highly recommend building a stand. Really all you need is a circular saw, a jig saw, a tape measure and a pencil. The options are so much more broad when you are doing it yourself!

If you can't find pfs then you can use quickrete play sand. It works perfect for me. I think you'll be fine if you get either 2 ac70's or an ac110

Wow! Thanks so much. I wish i had the time to get into building a stand myself, but not knowing the first thing about 'circular saws' etc and being a pianistwhol needs her fingers I bought Sedona stand which only needs lesser skill to put together :)

Back
Top Bottom