Using Aluminum in my Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chafire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All
My question is in regards to using aluminum in my aquarium. I bought some aluminum mesh which I plan to squeeze Riccia between and lay on the bottom of my tank to create a carpet affect. So I'm wondering if the aluminum will affect the tanks water conditions or potentially harm my fish.

Also I add about a tablespoon or two of salt to the aquarium so would this have any effect on the aluminum as well? any advice on this would be helpful.

Thanks
~Graham

Hello Graham.

I really don't like the idea of Aluminum anywhere near living species (including Humans).
I would really recommend using something like Fiberglass or plastic mesh / Eggcrate as a base for your plants.

im sure somebody will tell you its safe, which it probably is since pure aluminum shouldnt rust or leach out anything, but i would be afraid to use it... i would go with something like egg crate or nylon mesh or something of that nature...

Yeah I was thinking of going with "gutter guard" because it is plastic which I would not worry about.

Not all plastics are safe ... some are treated with algaecide/mildewcide and may leech toxins out. A lot of plastics for outdoor use (eg kiddie pools, etc) are so treated. I don't know about gutter guard tho.

But I agree, aluminum makes me a bit uneasy ... you are better off using stainless steel mesh. Or maybe you can use a plastic pot scrubber from the dime store. <Get the cheap ones, as they are much less likely to be treated .... People have been using those instead of bio-balls in the tanks without problems.> If you unravel one of those, you would have a nice thin plastic mesh.

The plastic crafting mesh works great as well, although the holes in it are larger than screen. I wouldn't want to put aluminum in my tank either. You can always buy the fiberglass window screen to use as well :) Whichever you choose, be sure to read the label and make sure there aren't any of the aformentionoed mildew retardents, etc in it.

Best to avoid aluminum, especially at moderately acidic pH levels: Aluminum (Al) and water

I recommend egg crate which you should be able to find at Home Depot or Lowes in the lighting section. It is also known as lighting deflector if you ask a worker there.

im sure somebody will tell you its safe, which it probably is since pure aluminum shouldnt rust or leach out anything, but i would be afraid to use it... i would go with something like egg crate or nylon mesh or something of that nature...

Pure aluminum doesn't rust???

Actually, it does so very rapidly, just not like you would think. If you have some aluminum around the house look at it closely and you will see that it is oxidized. Take something sharp and scratch the pure aluminum away to reveal very shiny aluminum, which will turn drab like the rest of the exposed aluminum as it oxidizes or "rusts". Granted, it doesn't rust like iron, and the oxidation on aluminum actually prevents the rest of the aluminum from oxidizing and flaking away, which is seen all of the time with iron.

It will oxidize and it will also dissolve in water to a small degree. Everything will dissolve in water to a certain degree. Compounds are assigned Ksp values, which are solubility product constants. They tell the degree to which compounds will dissolve in water. Something like sodium chloride will have a very high value compared to something like aluminum, which may dissolve only one part per every 10^20 or 10^30 molecules of water. More aluminum will dissolve at lower pH values.

Pure aluminum doesn't rust???

Actually, it does so very rapidly, just not like you would think. If you have some aluminum around the house look at it closely and you will see that it is oxidized. Take something sharp and scratch the pure aluminum away to reveal very shiny aluminum, which will turn drab like the rest of the exposed aluminum as it oxidizes or "rusts". Granted, it doesn't rust like iron, and the oxidation on aluminum actually prevents the rest of the aluminum from oxidizing and flaking away, which is seen all of the time with iron.

It will oxidize and it will also dissolve in water to a small degree. Everything will dissolve in water to a certain degree. Compounds are assigned Ksp values, which are solubility product constants. They tell the degree to which compounds will dissolve in water. Something like sodium chloride will have a very high value compared to something like aluminum, which may dissolve only one part per every 10^20 or 10^30 molecules of water. More aluminum will dissolve at lower pH values.

wow, i never even thought of it like that... i know it doesnt rust like iron... didnt think about it oxidizing... good reason not to use it :) thanks for the info, i should have known that having a father that is a high school chemistry teacher lol

Back
Top Bottom