Using Seachem Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tulip55555

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anybody know anything about using Prime as a water conditioner and getting an ammonia reading?? (I use and API test) And does anyone know how long it binds the ammonia?
I've been reading on their website about getting a false positive for ammonia, so I just don't know when to be concerned and do a pwc. My tank is still new and I've been adding some plants and another fish...idk if they are deteriorating and giving off ammonia or if the Prime is giving me a false reading or what.
I must say that before I started using it a couple of days ago my ammo was good, but, again, I have added some plants and fish, too.
I know Seachem has a test that will distinguish between toxic and non toxic ammo, but I can't find it at my LFS. So please don't give me that answer I really need an educated guess from someone who has been using it and can give me an idea of when to be concerned and do a pwc. :thanks:

I dont think youre readings are false. All Prime will do is put your ammo in a non toxic state. The reason why your ammo is up is because your tank is new with plants and fish and probably hasnt fully cycled yet so it doesnt have the sufficient amount of good bacteria to turn it to nitrite and nitrate. It would be a good idea to test for those too. as for the effective time for Prime, Ive heard 24-48 hrs.

tulip55555 said:
Does anybody know anything about using Prime as a water conditioner and getting an ammonia reading?? (I use and API test) And does anyone know how long it binds the ammonia?
I've been reading on their website about getting a false positive for ammonia, so I just don't know when to be concerned and do a pwc. My tank is still new and I've been adding some plants and another fish...idk if they are deteriorating and giving off ammonia or if the Prime is giving me a false reading or what.
I must say that before I started using it a couple of days ago my ammo was good, but, again, I have added some plants and fish, too.
I know Seachem has a test that will distinguish between toxic and non toxic ammo, but I can't find it at my LFS. So please don't give me that answer I really need an educated guess from someone who has been using it and can give me an idea of when to be concerned and do a pwc. :thanks:

Prime converts ammonia into a non toxic form towards your fish while Ur BB and plants can still use it. Last for about 24 hours.
How old is Ur tank? Is Ur tank cycled and try testing Ur tap water. Maybe ammonia is coming from there. Because I highly doubt ur prime is releasing the ammonia.

24 hours is what i was told. how high is your ammo level in the tank compared with your tap water?

not sure if you are in the same boat but my tap water ammo reading is .5ppm. while i was waiting for my tank to cycle i used my tap water ammo level (.5ppm) as the baseline. if it went much over .5ppm then time for a pwc. i also did a 30% weekly pwc (using prime) regardless of the tank ammo reading.

some of our experts may be able to provide better solutions but this is what worked for me :)

The seachem techs say up to 48 hours on its effectiveness according to their forum. The seachem site says 24 hours.

If your water has chloramines in it then you will get ammonia readings straight out of the tap. As far as toxicity goes, it varies with ph and temperature, so getting a test kit that differentiates between ammonium and free ammonia is kind of a waste. Just try to keep it as low as possible.

Back
Top Bottom