Utah Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you show me a link and maybe I can find some more info for you!!

Is it really clear like glass?
I've seen rocks that fit this description sold under the name, Utah Ice.
Problem is, it's a form of gypsum (calcium carbonate). If you put it in water, it very slowly dissolves away and adds to your water's hardness.

Being from Utah, I had to know what this is. So I checked ebay. There is one guy on ebay who is selling rocks that are found near his home in Utah. The first rocks I looked at (the gray ones) are called "laced rhyolite" - according to the seller. My uncle is a geologist, so I gave him a call. Rhyolite is a volcanic rock made of silica - so it won't dissolve in your aquarium and should be fine to use.

I only noticed the orange rocks after I got off the phone with my uncle, so I don't know anything about them. But they are described as soft and flaky so my gut feeling is not to put them in the aquarium.

A guy selling rocks on ebay. Now theres an entrepreneur.

Looool, selling snowballs, how crazy can you get.............. :D
Good find SerLunchbox!

I should have put my snowballs up for auction. It has only snowed on xmas in New Orleans two times in the last one hundred and fifty years. :x-mas: We made a snowman and put an LSU hat on him. :lol:

Thanks for the info. Everyone at this site has been very helpful with all questions I have posted. Its a great resource. I'm trying to pull together all the stuff I nedd for my new 90 gal tank, I'm alomost there!

Lace rock is great for aquariums, Utah Ice or "glass rock" is not. Check your local rock dealer or quarry, often a landscape supplier that sells mulch, gravel, stone, etc. will carry lace rock, and you can get it for $0.29 versus $1.99 per pound on ebay or at the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom