Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jobeck1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't have access to unsoftened water. What would be a good replacement? Bottled spring water, distilled?

I have softened water in my aquarium now, which I just found out is a bad thing, can I do 50% water changes with unsoftened water and fix my tank?

Do you have any neighbors that you can get plain tap water from? Bottled water will get expensive and I don't think that is what you want. I had typed out a long reply in your other thread and my computer froze up and I lost it. Oh well--the take home message was use tap water.

I might be able to locate some or put in a water valve before my water softener. What about the fish and the water in the tank now? If I do water changes with unsoftened water will that make the water more suitable to the fish? It would definately make the water less "soft".

I would do your 20% weekly water changes and add tap water (don't forget declorinator). Eventually, you will get to 100% tap water. I believe at that rate you will not shock your fish. Let's see if anyone agrees with me :p

Correct as always menagerie :wink:

20% a week seems a reasonable rate and eventually, your water will become hard enough by adding in some tap water. Be lucky you don't have my problem of water that is too hard!!! It is horrible. I have to deal with the RO/DI water and uugghhhh...it's no fun...

Hiya jobeck and welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

I've read both your posts, and before you start making yourself nuts, what IS the water hardness?

Wow. Grains huh. Not a measurement we usually use. I looked it up tho, and according to the chart I found, 15-18 grains is equal to 179.55 mg/l; thats roughly equivalent to ppm, which is a measurement we DO use in aquaria. Basically you have liquid rock...I think; the measurement comparison isn't exact. If you have the time, call em again and ask if they can give you the measurement in ppm or dH. Then we can be sure.

What kind of fish do you have? Some do very well in hard water; some don't. That will make a difference as to how you will need to adjust your water mix or if you will need to at all.

It is even higher than that! According to my conversion table - 15 grains/gal = 255 ppm = dH of 14! = extremely hard.

As I noted in your other post, water softener only exchange Ca/Mg for Na, the actual amount of solutes is not reduced <actually is increased - 2 Na+ for 1 Ca++ to maintain electrical neutrality>. As far as the fish is concerned, they are still seeing a high osmolar load, just like the hard untreated water.

Depending on your fish, you might have to doctor the water :(

Form the first it sounded like he was saying he has SOFT water...in reality he has very hard water...?

All this about water while he does tank alchemy..what kinda of fish does he have? Maybe if it is a super hassle he should match the fish to his conditions?

Back
Top Bottom