Water level help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarluv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I have a 55 gallon tank with two young oscars in it. I just took the water perimeters and I was wondering if they sound ok to everyone.
Gh: 0
Kh: 240
Ph: 8.5-9.0
No2: .5
No3: 0
Thanks!

Hey there! Looks like your tank either isn’t cycled or is in a mini cycle. The nitrite should be zero and you should see some nitrates. You need to be able to test ammonia as well as it is possibly at dangerous levels. You should do a water change to get that down ASAP.

Based on the format of the test results I suspect you’re using test strips? Those are notoriously unreliable. Sometimes they’re close, sometimes they’re way off. (Depends on brand and how they’ve been stored.). A liquid test kit would be a better bet.

How long has the tank been running and how big are the oscars at present and how old are they. Hopefully you are aware the tank is too small for two oscars for very long!

As the user above said pretty much, also worth taking your sample to an aquarium and get them to check it for you to see if the results are near your readings. Add some Bactria to the tank and ensure you add lots of plants. Fish poops then the poop turns to ammonia, then the Bactria eats the ammonia the turns to new nitrite then Bactria eats that with some getting absorb in plants then the Bactria converts it to less harmful nitrate which will be all absorbed into the plants

Hello Oscar...

Your pH is a bit on the alkaline (high mineral) side. You also have a trace of nitrogen dioxide (nitrite) in the water. Traces of this form of nitrogen can be lethal to aquarium fish. I would start a more aggressive water change routine. Work up to the point you change half the tank water every week. Do this and you'll have no tank problems.

B

I assume when you first filled the tank you used tap water, do you have well water or city water? Did you add any chemicals to increase the ph and kg?

Back
Top Bottom