Water Test Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma4life

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I just got an API master freshwater test kit, so excited! Been wanting one for a while and just tested the water. I'm a little confused about what the results mean and what to do to fix the ammonia and nitrates besides water changes. Any help would be appreciated! (The tests were done before I changed my tank water.)
P.H. ~ 7.4
Ammonia~0.50ppm
Nitrites~0ppm
Nitrates~20ppm

You can see from these values whether the nitrogen cycle is in order.

The fish excrete ammonium. 0.2 mg / liter is correct.
Part of the ammonium is taken up as plant nutrient, and a other part of it is converted into nitrite by nitrogen-degrading bacteria.
Nitrite is toxic and should not be more than 0.05 mg / liter.
But another group of bacteria continue to break down this nitrite into nitrate. Nitrate is a necessary plant nutrient. 5 to 10 mg / liter are correct.
If this process works, you will have the right strains of bacteria in your aquarium. In most cases this happens automatically.
I have less fish and lots of plants. If nitrate is too little, nothing will grow. Then I add ammonium and after a while the nitrate is higher again.

ok, thanks! Also sorry if this is obvious, but what exactly is the nitrogen cycle? Thanks!

Proteins accumulate in the aquarium. (Dead food animals, fish droppings. Dead fish, snails, rotten leaves and roots. Remains of artificial feed.)
The main component of these particles is protein, an organic compound with nitrogen.
This must be broken down by bacteria into inorganic compounds (nitrite; nitrate). Otherwise putrefaction would arise.
That is the task of the nitrogen cycle.

Water Testing

So I just got an API master freshwater test kit, so excited! Been wanting one for a while and just tested the water. I'm a little confused about what the results mean and what to do to fix the ammonia and nitrates besides water changes. Any help would be appreciated! (The tests were done before I changed my tank water.)
P.H. ~ 7.4
Ammonia~0.50ppm
Nitrites~0ppm
Nitrates~20ppm

Hello Mag...

If you have a trace of ammonia in the water, the tank isn't established and your fish are at risk. I would change a third of the tank water a couple of times a week for two to three weeks to keep the water in safe zone for the fish and increase the growth of the bacteria colony. After three weeks, you should change half the water weekly for as long as you keep the tank running. If you can commit to a weekly 50 percent water change, you won't need to test the tank water very often, if at all.

B

Back
Top Bottom