Weird catfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n3wt

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a featherfined catfish few days ago because the guy I usually get my fish from said they go good with cichlids and I need some sort of bottom feeder but he is acting really weird.
For the past few days he has been swimming upside down at the top of my tank. He seems perfectly healthy and the other fish aren't picking on him or anything but I don't know if it is normal behavior for them because when I got him he was swimming just like a normal fish before I took him home and as soon as i put him in my tank he hasn't stopped swimming upside down.
Anyone have any idea on why he would be doing this?

From what Ive read on them, they are a very hard fish to maintain, I havnt read anything about em being upside down, but Ive seen the same ones at petsmart that do the exact same thing.

It may be hungery. My eupterus will swim upside down at the top looking for food left over from my oscars. Are you feeding him specifically, or only letting him clean up after the other fish?

Right now he's just been cleaning up from my other fish. I haven't tried to feed him individually yet.

You may want to feed him. Try sinking pellets or wafers for bottom feeders (not the algae ones). If you aren't really overfeeding your fish, there wont be enough left overs to keep this guy satisfied :)

I just got done feeding him :) I feed my cichlids with the medium sized New Life Spectrum sinking pellets I tried to feed him a whole one but he couldn't really get his mouth around it so I just chopped them in two or three pieces and dropped them next to him. Seems to do the trick! :)

Back
Top Bottom