weird snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shellii

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have bought myself a golden apple snail, and i love it to bits, i find it so intertaining, i have had to for around 2 weeks and just today i noticed a small black snail on one of the leafs of my plants.....i have seen baby snails before but this was much bigger then an newborn baby snail i have seen, plus its pitch black in colour with small white spots on its shell.......

Im not sure how it got there, i figured since i only baught one snail i wouldnt have a problem with it breeding.....what do i do now?

Is this black snail a golden apple snail also??

will my tank be infested now with snails popping up all over the place?

:(

Sounds like a pond snail. Make sure you don't over feed and your population should stay down.

+1 on the pond snail ID. Remove all of them that you can. They'll overrun a tank unless you're really careful with your feedings.

Snails can reproduce asexually by cloning them selves. i dont know if apples can or not but 1 pondsnail can turn into lots of pondsnails quickly. I like mine personally but I dont feed the tank a lot sooo...

Snails are the devil. Im battling an outbreak at the moment. The best snails imo are nerites, they cant reproduce in fresh water which makes them perfect (and come in lots of colors).

i have a few mystery snails that have mysteriously grown the size of a small apple... i also have tons, and i mean tons, of mts... they are awesome... i can see 1 or 2 during the day, turn the light on and night and the tank walls are covered.. personally, i think snails are beneficial... and theyre fun to look at too

So, I got some plants recently, and there were these little snails on some plants, not sure what they are, but they are rounded and were brown. Now, I noticed yesterday and today (I get home from work at 6am so it's still dark and I can see them) that they are more red, and one has gotten SO BIG in the last week! How fast do they grow?

Snails are the devil. Im battling an outbreak at the moment. The best snails imo are nerites, they cant reproduce in fresh water which makes them perfect (and come in lots of colors).
Just get a couple of assassin snails and the pest snails will disappear but don't get more than a couple for the tank. I got some from mgamer for a friend his tanks are snail free in less than a month, now he is taking my snails to feed them.

Back
Top Bottom